Can Shemano Altus brake lever be swapped out?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.amazon.com/SHIMANO-Altus-Right-7-Speed-SL-M315-7R/dp/B0833BY837
My current brake levers are shiny aluminum ones. I like how they look. Getting the altus lever both because new left grip is longer, and because I've given the twistie revoshift as honest a go as i can and the constant hand position swapping just... Meeh.

But it comes with a black lever. I do not want a black lever I want shiny lever. So either I take dremel and buzz off the paint, or swap the lever out.

I can't say for certain that replacement is a no-go, but in my experience, brake levers are some of the least interchangeable parts you can deal with. You'll probably end up scraping.

And by the way, the Amazon link you posted is for the trigger shifter alone--there's no brake lever combined, if you were expecting an integrated unit.

Some of the Shimano shifters without brake levers are designed so that a separate lever can be mounted in very close proximity; but I can’t really see if that is the case from the Amazon ad.
Sometimes eBay might have better pictures?

Latest posts

Back