Can you put custom gears on a freewheel?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sortof at loose ends at the moment. I have a spare seven speed freewheel I'm about to knock the locking ring loose on because, mostly for giggles, lets see if I can make a redneck single speed.

Now I'm thinking though. Can sprockets meant for cassets go on a freewheel spindle? See i like the 'megarange' in theory, but it's always BIG low gear and the rest of the gearing is straight up from the 14 - 28. Any way to shuffle that about so the gearing from absolute low end isn't as steep? Like... (example) instead of 14-16-18-20-22-24-28T, 14-16-18-22-24-28-34T?

I don't think cassette cogs will fit the freewheel spindle. Cogs on my cassettes would not thread on to anything.

Some cassettes can be took apart and rearranged some and there are spacers to convert sevens to sixes or fives but there's probably more investment than return unless you have a specific gearing in mind that you're trying to build. You can make a fun "redneck" single or even a 2 or 3 speed derailleur with a few spacers though. I may have to build me one...

Carl.

If you have several thread on multi speed freewheels - same type, the cogs should swap. I've changed out the top gear on a shimano to make a super high.
You could grind the teeth off and make shims or buy shims. To make it a single speed and put the chainline where you want it.

More effective would be to use a single speed hub, with a regular freewheel and build the wheel with chainline where you want it by dishing the wheel

Latest posts

Back