Can't identify this Pre-war bike. Need help.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't find the serial number of this bike anywhere or any kind of identification and it is driving me crazy. If anyone has any ideas that would be great! The the second photo is of the only writing I could find located on the base of the kickstand.

https://imgur.com/a/

Looks to be pre-war to me, but I can't identify it further att. I can make a few suggestions, however. First, don't photograph two bikes together--it just makes the image cluttered. Also, it is best to photograph the opposite side of the bike...the so-called drive side. That side reveals the chainring and chain guard that are often unique to a particular manufacturer. And finally, if there is a serial number stamped on this frame, it is almost certain to be under the bottom bracket (the cylinder where the pedals attach). If you can't see one, it is likely flooded by red housepaint.

I believe the marking on the kickstand is merely a 'pat apl' stamp--it's of no consequence.

The frame looks a bit like this Shelby Traveller. Though the chainring is different, I think yours is a style known to be used by Shelby.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
It's gotta be a ladies Shelby as you suggest.
I've never seen this squiggly on any other frame before and the red one has the same one.

1632094820114.png

The flat rear fender bracket and the curve of the seat stays also are the same.

Thank you guys for the feedback. It’s great to finally know what this bike is. I’ve had it for years just sitting around never knowing what it really was. Now just need to figure out what to do with it.

I believe that Shelby produced that girls bicycle style both pre and post war.
The serial numbers should be on the bottom of the crank housing.
Six digits may indicate pre war; and five digits might be 1940-50’s.
The shock ease springer fork was patented in 1939-40, and a new design was patented about 1950-52.
Shelby production stopped about 1953.

Around '48, they started attaching an ID tag to the BB, smaller than Monark's. It would read "No. 48", and then the serial #, with the following years after the 'No.'. AMF bought out CWC and Shelby around '51. They used up all the old stock, which is why you see later '50s AMF's with Shelby 'snowflake' chain rings, and their chain guards. They also made Shelby badged bikes through '62 at least. -Adam

Latest posts

Back