Caps!ze (MBBO)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I really like the look of an upside-down ladies frame. So that is the inspiration here. Hence the name. Plan is to use the styling of the upside-down frame look, but to look like a factory build. So no BB up top etc.
Another thing is, I've never laced or trued a wheel. So I was keen to give that a go.
Now it would have been a bike store job before I joined this forum. But there is so much great info, and inspiration here, that I just had to give it a go myself.
Tonight I got some time to sort through the parts pile, and pick out a set of rims and tyres.

20211105_230006.jpg
So i have;
An alloy 26x1 3/8 with Sturmy Archer 3 speed, and an all but new tyre.
A spare front hub
An old mtb 26x1.5" wheel with a similar look to the 26x1 3/8.
And a nice fat 26x2.4 tyre.

Planning a 26x1 3/8 up front, with a 3 speed 26x2.4 out the back.

20211105_230016.jpg

I set up an old fork as a truing stand

20211105_231723.jpg

I stripped the skinny down, and put the 3 speed aside, ready for the rear wheel build.

20211105_232756.jpg

My first try at lacing here. Copying another wheel with a 3 cross pattern.

20211106_001556.jpg

So far, so good. Couple of cable ties added. Ready to tru it up.

20211106_001602.jpg

Spent a little time getting it running pretty nice with just a screw driver in the back side. I'm waiting on my spoke tool in the post, then I'll finish it off.
appears my first wheel build is a success, so I might have a go at the rear tomorrow?

Did a very quick mock up with a couple frames today, For a visual check I'm on the right path.
20211106_095734.jpg
20211106_100110.jpg

The purple frame is the kind of look I want to achieve.
But the red frame is more period correct in its materials, So the red frame has the nod.
Over the next week I'll cut and chop it into the shape I want. Plus, I like the idea of a curved down tube. So we'll see where that takes us

There needs to be more upside-down girls' bikes in the world. It's such a cool style. Looking forward to seeing your build progress! Looks like you're doing great so far! I need to try my hand at lacing and trying my own wheels sometime! I like your technique. Keep it up!

There needs to be more upside-down girls' bikes in the world. It's such a cool style. Looking forward to seeing your build progress! Looks like you're doing great so far! I need to try my hand at lacing and trying my own wheels sometime! I like your technique. Keep it up!
Thanks for the kind words. I was feeling intimidated about the wheel lacing, but these build off's are a push, to jump in and try new things. Glad I gave it a go, very rewarding.

Got excited, and got the rear wheel built up with the SA 3 speed hub.
20211106_223936.jpg
20211107_010236.jpg
20211107_010250.jpg

Then chopped up the red frame for a look see. The proportions are just all wrong, and the tube sizes just too small to look 'muscle'. So the red frame will become the donor for the purple frame. Purple frame has the proportions I want. Nice chunky tubes etc. Going to work much better.
20211107_010301.jpg

To be honest, I prefer the hard lines of the Malvern for a flipped bike. Seems edgier. I wasn't fond of how the gap between the tubes narrowed before the curve on the red bike.
I totally agree, I was thinking I could change the lines of the red frame to look similar. But it just wasn't working for me. The Malvern has more muscle

Thanks for the kind words. I was feeling intimidated about the wheel lacing, but these build off's are a push, to jump in and try new things. Glad I gave it a go, very rewarding.
You're welcome! Glad you decided to join this year's MBBO, and that you're pushing yourself to learn new tricks too! That purple frame definitely has the makings of a cool muscle bike. Maybe after I finish my Murray Eliminator, I might try taking one of the girls' frames I have laying around and modify one of those into an upside-down bike of some sort.

Donor parts from the red frame.
20211107_130815.jpg

Fork looks to be able to be raked out, which will drop the front end lower.
20211107_135422.jpg

Trimmed off the rear drop-outs and tacked on the donor's drop-outs up a bit higher, To lower the rear a touch. Planning to have the top tube level to the ground.
Will make it look pretty later on. Test fitting at this stage
20211107_135412.jpg

Tacked on the BB, and Hose clamped on a seat, in a banana ish position for a test sit.
20211107_135445.jpg

Fits nicely. I wanted the BB hanging a touch lower than normal. I will add bracing with a second set of chain stays back to the drop outs.

Haven't found anything in the shed yet to build a Nana seat from yet LOL. I'll keep looking.

You might check out ALiEN FiRE from past build offs. It's a flipped bike I built. Very much like your Malvern. I've found that some seat post tubes from "ten speeds" fit inside the seat post tubes from some MTB bikes. I also found a way around the flipped dropouts with out cutting them up. Note to all, our archives have a wealth of information available.

GC.

You might check out ALiEN FiRE from past build offs. It's a flipped bike I built. Very much like your Malvern. I've found that some seat post tubes from "ten speeds" fit inside the seat post tubes from some MTB bikes. I also found a way around the flipped dropouts with out cutting them up. Note to all, our archives have a wealth of information available.

GC.
I went looking and read through the original build of Alien fire. Lots of great ideas put to use on your build, Awesome job.
I decided to mod the drop-outs as I'm going to single speed style drive train with the 3 speed hub, So I need some chain adjustment there. But your solution is such a good solution with a derailer set up.

^unexpected. Interested to see what you have planned.
May need these with...
pedalextenders.jpg

Love that 76'' 3-speed pre no in-between gear, what I refer to as the daaanger hub. I feel privileged anytime I work on an old IGH. The machining is so beautiful. The shell looks great too.

Latest posts

Back