Caps!ze (MBBO)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Raking the forks.

I had a go at Raking a pair of old mtb forks. Peice of pipe in the press at home to push the centre, supported on two process of wood.
= Complete fail: kinked the tubes.

Had my pipe bender at work, so I had a another go at it today. Using the forks from the red bike donor.
Using a pipe die the correct size and going slowly, bit by bit, they turned out great. Really happy with them this time around.
20211111_110243.jpg

First, congratulations on your first wheel builds. They look great. I really didn't know what to think when I first started reading these posts but then the picture of Alien Fire clarified everthing for me. This should be an amazing build. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

^unexpected. Interested to see what you have planned.
May need these with...
pedalextenders.jpg

Love that 76'' 3-speed pre no in-between gear, what I refer to as the daaanger hub. I feel privileged anytime I work on an old IGH. The machining is so beautiful. The shell looks great too.
Big fan of pedal extenders. My size 14 feet thank me for discovering these beauties a few years ago.

^unexpected. Interested to see what you have planned.
May need these with...
pedalextenders.jpg

Love that 76'' 3-speed pre no in-between gear, what I refer to as the daaanger hub. I feel privileged anytime I work on an old IGH. The machining is so beautiful. The shell looks great too.
I think those would be a useful addition. Great idea. Thanks for the input.

Looking at this pic, I completely forgot about front fender clearance.:headbang:
I have around 10mm (Whoops, I mean 3/8":21:) clearance for the front tyre (tire?) to the fork.
I Will have to open that back up a little for a bobbed fender to slip in there.
Smaller front wheel maybe?

Or.... does the fender need to extend under the fork crown - does it need to exist on both sides, or could it e shaped to fit around the crown?

View attachment 178144View attachment 178145
Got the BB welded on and trying out some fender options.

Also looking at these two fork options. Not sure which I like better at this stage. Both look good.

Brought a donor bike with a set of ape hangers today for it, just need to pick them up.
+1 for the white fork. It makes the top tube (almost) level.

View attachment 178144View attachment 178145
Got the BB welded on and trying out some fender options.

Also looking at these two fork options. Not sure which I like better at this stage. Both look good.

Brought a donor bike with a set of ape hangers today for it, just need to pick them up.
C'mon,silver. Centered front fender's on point. Personally my rear fenders have to be close. As a kid I wouldn't mind. Further from the tire bothers my adult eyes. Blue fork for heavier steering if that's what you're after.

That formula doesn't really apply to muscle bikes... at least not to children, who the bikes were intended for. The funkier, the more interesting/fun.

Thanks all for the input. I was worried that with the slim fork, Slender fender, and skinny tyre, I was getting away from the chunky look of the frame.
Appreciate you lot putting me back on track :thumbsup:
I Did actually use a level when I set up the stance with that fork. It is spot on level :21:
C'mon,silver. Centered front fender's on point. Personally my rear fenders have to be close. As a kid I wouldn't mind. Further from the tire bothers my adult eyes. Blue fork for heavier steering if that's what you're after.

That formula doesn't really apply to muscle bikes... at least not to children, who the bikes were intended for. The funkier, the more interesting/fun.
I have been trying a few rear tyres from my stash to see what looks best. Rear fender is just temp installed with cable ties for now. I do agree that the fitment is important. Will work on tucking it close to the tyre.:thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back