BO15 Carcass

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I am in. I wanted to use some interesting frame, but I will have to go with a generic cruiser frame. I almost got a pg board tracker with a fork, but I don't really like the lines so I passed. It was expensive anyway.
IMG_20200504_212702.jpg

I will use this Springer though:
IMG_20200504_213156.jpg

I want to have a 28 rear wheel (not this one) and a 26 front (might be this one if I decide to go with a disk brake). I want it bare metal and I will pick cream tires for it... So I want it to remind of a carcass in the desert, dried to the bones and bleached by the sun.
It might have a few surprises along the way. I don't know about the seat or the bars yet.
Pretty simple plan, but a lot of work. I have to get paint stripper, I have to go through my parts and put together a crankset. I have offset chainring and rear cog... I am not sure I would find the whole headset, might have to order a new one.
I have to get my 28" 635 single speed wheel centered, so I can rebuild my daily and steal its rear s7 wheel.
I have a half link open chain. Pretty sure I have the right front light for this build too. Once I gather what I find I will post pics.

I always enjoy seeing your builds unfold.

1588692174089.png

Thank you Kingfish! This means a lot to me!
The picture is very suitable and basically what I had in my head when visualizing a carcass.
I did some reading today. I was bugged why no fat 28" tires. I realized that basically everything above 1,75" or 2" is 29", while still fitting a 622 rim. Cool and all, but finding a 29er in cream might prove difficult. Later I will search the web. I know I could get 28x2" (?) in creram, from Schwalbe for sure, I know they have them. I have a 28x1,75 in the rear triangle for clearance test and I have around 12mm space between the tire and the brake bridge between the seatstays
IMG_20200504_222103.jpg

and around 16mm between the tire and the fender mount between the chainstays.
IMG_20200504_222115.jpg

I think I could easily get a 2,125" wide tire in there, perhaps more - I could remove the brake bridge and the kickstand mount, but I would prefer not to.
I found the offset chainring and offset rear sprocket. Plus some parts I would like to mock up to see how they go with the flow.
IMG_20200505_212942.jpg

I just realized I will also have to replace the headset cups because the fork is ahead and the frame has cups for a threaded headset.
Oh yes, forgot the chain:
IMG_20200505_215207.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you, Spike!
The generic cruiser frames are ok, sure, I simply have become spoiled with all the crazy and stunning bikes I see in the ratrod and tretharley scene. I actually bought this green bike for 50 Euro only to get the frame. I was just hoping I might get lucky and a steal would come up, since a lot of people over here are selling bike stuff because they are out of work. I am lucky enough to work during the quarantine, (despite not too thrilled about having to commute, etc. and risk it), but many folks don't have a steady income right now or it is diminished.
Unfortunately mostly it has been Smynz, Esco, Felt Lead Sled and other stretch, which I don't really like. I would like to get my hands on a Felt chopper, a Basman would be nice and I love Porucho frames, but I am afraid I might have too short legs for a Porucho so I may never ride one :(
I have a few hundred in coins LOL and once a year, in October, it is the worlds's saving day, on which day I can exchange them in the bank for no fee. :D So I might get me some cool frame this fall, if I am alive and well of course.

I am lucky enough to work during the quarantine, (despite not too thrilled about having to commute, etc. and risk it), but many folks don't have a steady income right now or it is diminished.

That's the most important thing right now! My girlfriend works in video-game QA so she has a looot of work right now, and for my bicycle service It's like a golden era right now! Since everything is closed, and people are bored they tend to go out and ride more often (also you can social-distance on a bike). Cause of that we sold 1/3rd of the new bikes in store, and had a lot of bicycles for repairs. Also the fact, that other shops in the area have closed, have shorter open hours, or have longer waiting lines (cause the repair guys are afraid to work) helped our small buisness a lot.

Sorry for the off-topic :wink1:

That's the most important thing right now! My girlfriend works in video-game QA so she has a looot of work right now, and for my bicycle service It's like a golden era right now! Since everything is closed, and people are bored they tend to go out and ride more often (also you can social-distance on a bike). Cause of that we sold 1/3rd of the new bikes in store, and had a lot of bicycles for repairs. Also the fact, that other shops in the area have closed, have shorter open hours, or have longer waiting lines (cause the repair guys are afraid to work) helped our small buisness a lot.

Sorry for the off-topic :wink1:
Seems to be the case world wide for bike shops. Our 11 store location company had the biggest week ever in it's history last week. All our stores hit over 150% of their goal for April, and we are over half way to our goal for May at our location right now!

I mocked some parts to get an idea of size and proportion.
IMG_20200507_230738.jpg

It is a frame and a fork, the rest probably all be other parts. The rear wheel is on my daily bike , I will take it once the tires arrive (which have been ordered). The front wheel is probably going to be a one I have with a rather thin hub. It will only have a coaster brake, no front brakes for this iron horse. That way the bars would be cleaner too, one less cable as well.
These bars might however just stay. They are 1" instead of 7/8" (22mm for us European folks), but I think the shifter has a removal shim and can switch between the two sizes. I might be wrong though, didn't think of checking the other end where the grip is.
That front light is too small, but the final one will be at this position. The stem should be probably shorter.
What paint stripper is suitable for frames? What could you recommend?

My inner tube arrived, the one for the rear wheel.
IMG_20200512_193102.jpg

I have enough tubes in 26" that I can use for the front wheel. The tires should arrive in a day or two, so on the weekend I will probably have the wheels ready.
I tried the paint and it seems to be thin enough that sanding won't be too big of a chore. So I won't have to spend money on paint stripper, I hope. The cable leads will be tricky, but they are not many, luckily, it is a cruiser and not a mtb or a road bike. The fork will be easy too.
IMG_20200512_193044.jpg

I am afraid that the handlebars won't be a good choice - the grips might be a bit short for a twist shifter and I will probably have to pick other bars. I have enough lying around, two already stripped from the paint. We'll see.

It turned out easier than I thought, compared to the handlebars I have sanded before, or a stem. At one point I remembered someone here on rrb said he used a knife, so I used one to scratch off the top of the paint and than cleared the rest with sandpaper.
IMG_20200512_213946.jpg

I can give it an hour the next few days and I could be done with the frame at the end of the week.

Nice jacked up gasser look up front.

I had to look "gasser" up! :D I am gonna read on those later when it gets to late to make noise from scratching the paint off.
I am curious myself how is the stance going to be like when the wheels are mounted.
I made progress yesterday with the frame, but next picture after tonight's session.
I got me a nos ahead stem for the ahead Springer fork:
IMG_20200514_200255.jpg

I chose it deliberately because 1. It is adjustable so it can be set in a way that follows some of the frame lines 2. It has 4 bolt bar clamp.
I am not quite sure which front wheel to use, they have virtually identical rims and spokes, but different hubs:
IMG_20200514_202347.jpg
IMG_20200514_202544.jpg

That's it for now, time to deal with the frame again.

The only thing wiki is showing me about wonky donkey is the children's book:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonky_DonkeyGoogle however has plenty of them gasser pics, wow, pretty cool.
Welderup-Sin-City-55-Gasser-6.jpg

Actually jaw droppingly cool.

Latest posts

Back