Cassette Cog to Cog size difference shifting Limitations

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello to all,
I am working on a couple of earlier frames (I normally ride 5, 6, and 7 speed rears), and I wanted to go with a single front ring 50T to 52T while having a decent range of gearing on the rear. I can probably fit an 8 speed cassette on the frame, but didn't know how much of a jump I could do between cogs. I ride fairly "tight" rear gears, some "straight block", others with only 2 to 3 teeth difference. If a 50T front, I'd like to go 11, 12, 14, 16, 19, 22, 26, 31; if 52T: 12, 13, 15, 18, 21, 24, 28, 33. I really just want one "granny" gear for any possible extreme climbing I might run into. Reason for this is that I rarely use the small front ring (I have no triples). I have no touring bikes, so I'm not familiar with their step ranges. Would 5, or even a 6 tooth difference be able to shift properly given that I would be using a rear derailleur capable of handling the larger cogs? Right now my biggest jump is from 25 to 28. RD I'm going to try states 32t max., but I can certainly get something to handle a larger cog if necessary. I see these 11 speed bikes with a single front ring, knowing of course that the bike was designed for that set-up. I ride at times a 53T on my trials bike, but no real climbing involved in the area which I ride. My frame will not fit 9 speeds or more, and I will not do a "cold set" to accommodate it. Thanks for any insight and advice.

Take care,
Jesper

Latest posts

Back