Cassette To Single For Cruiser Ebike?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I'm getting ready to build my second ebike. To that end I have purchased a 1000 watt rear hubmotor kit with the typical 7 speed cassette. But I want to put the wheel in either a Worksman, Husky or Schwinn Heavy Duti frame. Is there a way I can eliminate the cassette and convert the wheel to a single speed?
I know I can use spacers, but that doesn't address the issue of an overly wide wheel and large offset. I also know that I can spread the chainstays to fit the wheel. But I really want to eliminate the excess axle length; at least the part that is between the dropouts. Any ideas on that?

Maybe I'll just put that hubmotor on a mountain bike and think of another way to electrify an industrial frame. I have a couple of ideas.

Maybe get a motor with a freewheel instead? I have seen multi speed bikes converted to single speed with a one cog freewheel. At least that's what it looked like.

Are you working with a motor with a standard (135mm) drop out or a 110mm single speed drop out? If the motor fits the frame you want to use, you can buy a spacer to put the single speed freewheel where the smallest gear of the 7 speed would be. If the motor is too wide for the drop outs you will need a narrower (110mm) spaced motor or spread the frame drop outs (unless the frame is aluminum).

I converted a couple of bikes from cassette to single cog with the spacers and chain tensioner. It rode well ,even though the wheel was still dished for the cassette.

It's 135mm. I just put it in a MTB frame today. I'll probably use a non-hub motor and a chain to convert an industrial cruiser.

I would always prefer a mid motor because of the easy installation and the lack of an external controller.
Not all of the hub motors fit the dropouts, fork width is sometimes also an issue.
It also depends on your rides - if you just ride around the neighborhood there are hub motors that have the battery and controller integrated in the hub which makes for a very clean installation. There is of course less range, 12-20 miles only.

I've been looking at some of the motors that just have a mounting flange and a toothed sprocket, and use a separate controller. They're cheaper than hub motors and mid drives, and more flexible. They do require a bit of ingenuity to set up, but I like to tinker anyway.

Latest posts

Back