Cassettes and Freewheels

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ulu

Stinky Old Fish
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have cassettes taken over from the freewheel hubs? Or are some cheap bikes still expected to have freewheel hubs?

Right now I own four bicycles with seven sprockets on the rear hub and I don’t know what any of them are, but each one apparently takes a different socket.

I have the ‘89 Nishiki 21 speed, the 2014(?) mongoose fatbike, the (?) late model fake Schwinn, and the 2021 fake Huffy.

I see that on a cassette type you should always see some kind of stationary nut or lock ring or locking sprocket. I peeked at all four of these last night and played with them, and I’m not sure.

Except for the Nishiki which is like one the Park Tool video shows that they don’t make a tool for anymore. That one surely looks like a freewheel hub.

There are some 7 speed cassettes around but generally speaking, 7 speed or less = freewheel and 8 speed or more = cassette. A bike with a freewheel is not necessarily a cheap bike. I have some fine bicycles that are 7 speed freewheel design. They just pre-date the cassette era.

I have a bike that I suspect is a cassette type, because it has one sprocket that is a different color than the other six.

It is the largest of the seven by the way and it is blue steel, where the other six appear to be cadmium plated.

This is my newest (2021 model) & it is also my very cheapest. I have to take it apart soon to investigate.

Latest posts

Back