CCM King Cobra

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm a little late to the game but I'm now on holidays and need to build some bikes. I started throwing together some parts a couple weeks ago and came up with a plan to build a upscaled version of the CCM Cobra. This is a one year bike which is one of the most sought after muscle bikes in Canada. There are very few complete bikes known, and some collectors are still holding on to some NOS in the box bikes. The original bikes were marketed with ads using Bobby Hull. I have an old frame that matches the frame style of the Cobra, but it's a little bigger. I want to make it a 24/20. I'm not sure whether I'm going to keep it fully Ratty yet or not. I'm always torn when some of the parts I have are nice and some are rusty. We'll see how it goes.

Check out that sissy bar!! Might have to check for clearance when I drive into the garage.

And...... I just picked up a donor bike

9503875-900-0.jpg
135623234_396804668051473_2730882427321722767_n.jpg
IMG_5929.JPG
IMG_5930.JPG
IMG_5931.JPG
IMG_5932.JPG
IMG_5933.JPG
IMG_5934.JPG
IMG_5935.JPG
IMG_5936.JPG
IMG_5937.JPG
IMG_5938.JPG
IMG_5939.JPG
IMG_5940.JPG
IMG_6150.JPG
IMG_6171.JPG
yesterday that has a rusty set of Cobra bars, so I can mock those up shortly.

Not just heads, legendary heads. Awesome to see a CCM in the mix!
img_1633.jpg

I'm assuming you are in Canada, didja put your marker on the map? (There is a map showing builder's locations in the Discussion Forum)

I'm moving a little slower on this bike that I normally would. I must be distracted. Anyway, I've got the frame stripped and I'll be taking it to the powder coater in the next couple days. Thanks @bleedingfingers, for posting the pic of the black charger. I think I'm actually going to go with this colour scheme for the KING COBRA. I even found a piece of checkered vinyl that I acquired recently from a van full of parts I bought from a friend.

I'm switching out the front fork for what looks like a charger fork. It has the area for the checkered decal on the front which will match the seat nicely. This will be a 24/20, but I'm still toying with the idea of 24/16. I'll have to mock it up to see if I like it. The CCM Charger is a 24/20 but it runs the skinny 24 x 1-3/8" tires. The KING COBRA will be sporting a 24 x 2.125 rear wheel with an NOS 24 x 2.125 red line Tractor Grip Tire. I laced up the rear wheel with an NOS shimano 3 speed hub. Most CCM's came with a Sturmey Archer hub, but the shimano hub I had matched the size of this oddball Sun Wheels 24" rim I picked up with 12 gauge spokes. The flange width of the shimano is about 20mm less than the suzue hub that was laced to the rim, but I was able to switch to a 3 cross pattern instead of a 2 cross pattern to get the spoke length to work. I friggin' hate having to order spokes, and then sometimes I screw up the math and get the wrong size. I checked the math on these spokes 10 times and it checked out until I laced the rim. They all stuck out about 3mm, so I grinded them down.

IMG_6472.JPG
IMG_6473.JPG
IMG_6474.JPG
IMG_6503.JPG
IMG_6504.JPG
IMG_6505.JPG
IMG_6510.JPG
IMG_6511.JPG

Man, somehow I totally missed your entry brother!
Glad you've jumped back on it. Love that seat vinyl!!!!

Looks like a Charger fork but must be a repaint Red or Black are Charger colours Hope there's room for the fat tire in the rear .
Thats what I always disliked on them that skinny rear tire .
Friend of mine has one with a sulky slick.
The black ones had 2 speed Sachs torpedo hubs

Well, I'm kind of in slow mo on this build and the deadline is approaching. I just dropped of three frames to get powder coated. Hoping to get the KING COBRA frame back soon so I can meet the deadline.

Funny story.... So I had it in my head that I was going to use the 24 x 2.125 Tractor grip tire on the back. When I got the rim laced up, it sat for a few days and then late one night after my daughter went to bed, I snuck out to the garage to test the tire and the rim and make sure I had good clearance. It was then that I realized I had laced the hub to a 26" rim. DUH!!!! That tire was never going on. Hmmmm..... I even had a couple 24" rims from my Buddy Benzo that I got for a previous project and didn't use. The only problem is, I hadn't paid him for them and we agreed to have him relist them on eBay. Well.... they eventually sold and now I don't have them when I need them. So frig! I was kinda set on the Tractor grip tires, since I had a matching 20" front. So I went online to see if I could find a 26" tractor grip tire. Sure enough the first and only one to pop up was my Buddy Benzo. But...... he's away on holidays. I figured I'd order it in a couple weeks and switch the project to another 26/20 muscle bike like my Vista Grasshopper build. Well.... when you've been collecting parts as long as I have some funny things happen to your memory and your recall of parts. I went out the the garage again that night and actually found the 26 x 1.75 Tractor Grip tire I needed for the wheel I unknowingly laced up with a 26" rim. So..... if I happen to find a 24" rim I can use before then, we might see the fatter 2.125 on the rear. What a saga. I really just hope to get the bike done!! I'm actually toying around with the idea of a 16" front once I get the chance to check the stance. Would you believe I have a 16" tractor grip tire to match? Anyway....now I wait for paint. Wish me luck.

IMG_6651.JPG
IMG_6635.JPG
IMG_6637.JPG
IMG_6638.JPG
IMG_6646.JPG
IMG_6647.JPG
IMG_6648.JPG

Well, I'm kind of in slow mo on this build and the deadline is approaching. I just dropped of three frames to get powder coated. Hoping to get the KING COBRA frame back soon so I can meet the deadline.

Funny story.... So I had it in my head that I was going to use the 24 x 2.125 Tractor grip tire on the back. When I got the rim laced up, it sat for a few days and then late one night after my daughter went to bed, I snuck out to the garage to test the tire and the rim and make sure I had good clearance. It was then that I realized I had laced the hub to a 26" rim. DUH!!!! That tire was never going on. Hmmmm..... I even had a couple 24" rims from my Buddy Benzo that I got for a previous project and didn't use. The only problem is, I hadn't paid him for them and we agreed to have him relist them on eBay. Well.... they eventually sold and now I don't have them when I need them. So frig! I was kinda set on the Tractor grip tires, since I had a matching 20" front. So I went online to see if I could find a 26" tractor grip tire. Sure enough the first and only one to pop up was my Buddy Benzo. But...... he's away on holidays. I figured I'd order it in a couple weeks and switch the project to another 26/20 muscle bike like my Vista Grasshopper build. Well.... when you've been collecting parts as long as I have some funny things happen to your memory and your recall of parts. I went out the the garage again that night and actually found the 26 x 1.75 Tractor Grip tire I needed for the wheel I unknowingly laced up with a 26" rim. So..... if I happen to find a 24" rim I can use before then, we might see the fatter 2.125 on the rear. What a saga. I really just hope to get the bike done!! I'm actually toying around with the idea of a 16" front once I get the chance to check the stance. Would you believe I have a 16" tractor grip tire to match? Anyway....now I wait for paint. Wish me luck.

View attachment 166673View attachment 166674View attachment 166675View attachment 166676View attachment 166677View attachment 166678View attachment 166679
That red frame is sick!

This is wild! I assume you used the old spokes from the 26" rim so that's how you got them wrong too?
Once I installed a fork and when I stepped back to see the result, the bigger picture if you like, I realized that I had the frame upside down in the bike stand.

1629688500557.png

Latest posts

Back