chain guard graphics with a laser cutter... Schwinn font? vector graphics?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, I know exactly what caused the bleed-under... it's the cracked and peeling blue paint on the guard. Next time I do this I will spend a little more time prepping the surface. And the splotchiness is perfect, it looks just like the 40-year-old bikes next to it in the basement. If anything, I might use an antique white paint that's not so bright.

Latest test on a junk guard with botched paint:
20181216_091209.jpg

Yeah, it destroyed the blue paint that I had screwed up anyway, but I'm thinking that on a guard that has a good coat of paint on it, these letters will look exactly right for an old weathered guard.
20181216_093400.jpg

I used little sponge gizmos from the craft section at Walmart and cheap Walmart flat white spray paint. I just sprayed into the cap and sponged it up from there.
20181216_092248.jpg

20181216_092445.jpg

I just missed out on yet ANOTHER gently used Cricut Expression. $25 bucks for the whole bundle, including five carts. I'm patient, tho, and low-buck on used gear may soon become a reasonable expectation.

Why? For those who aren't aware, the device manufacturer, Provo, dropped support on all but their most current models back in mid-July. (The company has an abysmal track record when it comes to mistreating their customers.) As a result, much of the older machines' functionality will be crippled going forward...unless one is resourceful.

There's reproduction decals readily available for this:
20181229_161328.jpg

But a shiny white sticker or waterslide wouldn't look right here. (It also wouldn't stay attached.)
20181230_135428.jpg

This was a perfect opportunity to use the stencil and sponge again:
20190103_223921.jpg

20190103_223452.jpg

20190103_230050.jpg

Sure, I'd prefer to just have some of the original Scrambler graphics to preserve, but since I don't, I'm pretty happy with this.

If the paint you are using is an enamel, you can mix some Minwax satin varnish to make it semi transparent. This gives you a way to easily manipulate how opaque your finish is, it also cuts down the gloss slightly. As always, test before applying to your finished part.

I use it to replicate brush strokes that show as lettering ages. This really wouldn't apply for you as the original would be either screen printed or decals. But it might help with your sponging techinique.

PA220213.JPG

Have you ever done a "Schwinn Sting Ray" chain guard stencil yet for a 1966 Sting Ray model J38? If so I would be interested in getting some. I would like to try the sponge dabble paint technique on mine.

Attachments

• zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz2022-06-30_18-49-36.jpg
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz2022-06-30_18-49-36.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back