check out my crusty cruiser build. maybe help give it a name?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not really sure brand of frame. seen it at a local swap meet price was fare. for a used 26" frame with 24" forks thrown on and some crappy junk looking spray boomed parts. so gave the guy $35.00 for it. ditched the Huffy style fork. for some Shelby bicycle springer forks . found on ebay. it just looked cool and stood out. from say the repop knock off Schwinn style springers most times I run.

s-l1600 (5).jpg
but my swap meet find frame hade a shorter steer tube. so head set would not thread down fare enough. simple fix. .went back on ebay. bought a Vintage Bicycle Fork Die Set Tool 1" 24TPI Steerer Tubes Made in USA I pated up $115.00 but. now I can clean or chase threads on most brand forks. so it will pay for it's self in the long run. plus one can never have to many tools!

s-l1600 (6).jpg

cut more threads further down the fork steer tube. so now my head set taken from a girls cruiser I found on trash day. cruising my hood. could be used to mate the fork to frame. 4 head set lock wring spacers later. I had the springer fork lined up and working proper. next broke out my round file. so I could clean out all the rust build up in side fork steer tube. that was preventing. the stem from the free girls downer bike. from fitting in fork. since the stem fit. I cleaned the handlebars from free pink girls Huffy glide cruiser bike. threw them on. next wait for more goods from ebay. new white diamond pleated seat, that came with white grips.$39.00 shipped

s-l1600 (7).jpg

then new pedals from Ebay $26.00 shipped

s-l400.jpg

new wheels on sale from Ebay. cost way less than all the rust vintage white wheels I seen for sale on ebay..
Price: US $89.99 + $20.00 shipping so no brainer bought the new wheels. just swapped the 3/8 front axle for a used 10mm out a old Schwinn rim so wheel fit my fork drop outs.

s-l1600 (8).jpg

next it simple screamed for fenders and a chain guard. but was not feeling the shape / style of the free pink ones on girls downer bike.. so back to browsing Ebay. found some rusty blue and white vintage 26" balloon tire fenders, chainguard from a firestone special cruiser. payed a bit Winning bid: US $74.00 but worth it. they fit the build nicely.

s-l1600 (9).jpg

next needed a kick stand one it sold with was a spray boomed Wald 20" bike kick stand. so back to ebay for a adjustable kick stand. Bell 7015891 Bike Standard Kick Stand, Fits 12"-28" Bikes $17.00 free shipping. new this would fit.

s-l400 (1).jpg

still need to but new tires ones on it look good. but to wide rub on rear fender.

DSC00985.JPG

DSC01098.JPG

DSC01099.JPG

thinking may be these maxxis tires will solve the rubbing issue.

DSC01100.JPG

but there supper skinny and low profile when test fit on a 26" wheel. yet read size 26X125.

DSC01101.JPG

Last edited:
tried a different rear tire it s lower profile. the Maxxis are for like 700C rims or something ells my 26" cruise tube do's not fit them.
but this old black tire works. :D

DSC01102.JPG

=[-

Last edited:
might work. was thinking how to add in splices of red. IE red white and blue.
26 x 125 is super skinny. That would make for a harsh ride with the high psi. For a cruiser, I would go 26x 2 ish
Maybe try to get red tires? That would really pop!
duro-components-wanda-diamond-tread-bicycle-colored-tire-26-x-2-125-for-beach-cruiser-bikes-14...jpg

Last edited:
a used 26" frame with 24" forks thrown on
After looking at the pictures, are you sure that it is a 26? Those fenders are really close to the tire!
DSC01099~2.JPG

In this picture, it looks like you have the least clearance at the seat stay. Maybe you will have to run without fenders

After looking at the pictures, are you sure that it is a 26? Those fenders are really close to the tire!
View attachment 172626
In this picture, it looks like you have the least clearance at the seat stay. Maybe you will have to run without fenders
YES I am sure! every thing clears the new 26X125 tires the older used tan wall is 26 X 2.10 and rubbed in side the fender . basically I think I went down 1 tire size now it works.

DSC01103.JPG

DSC01104.JPG

Last edited:
Actually I like looks of those maxxis detonator tires. Lotta old middleweights were setup for 26 x 1.75 tires - no room for ballooner 26 x 2.125 rubber under the fenders.
Put 100 psi tires on some nice alloy rims and gears for a really nice cruiser. :)

Just got to clarify: the tires OP posted are 26 x 1.25. I had to zoom in on the picture to make sure
yes new all black tires are 20X 2.125 . had to throw on a new Cult chain. the vintage one that sold on this bike. snapped pedaling up a hill over the freeway. lucky there was a bike shop at the street corner back side of that hill. so just coasted to bike shop.

still on the fence. part of me wants. to brake apart the fork. paint the legs same shade of blue as frame. do the strut braces white. but the other half . keeps saying it's only factory stock all original once.

Nope. You have something with that bike that department stores can't sell: patina. It is always going to be cooler than something from SprawlMart
true but just thinking the blue tires might push it that way. IE be to much

Throw the spare bolts in a jar, you might need them later
just decided to read the instructions. after I all ready built it. their extra longer bolts. for if your running fatter/ wider handlebars. than say a beach cruiser normally run uses. for like mountain bike bars or road bikes / 10 speeds.

well took it for a spin down to my Barber shop. learned. that Wald brand kick stand sucks!!!!!!!! bolt/ screw came lose. after U tern to find other half of kick stand. jam a diff screw in I found in my back pack. made it work. till I got home. then to take up the slack. tube B was way wider. than tube A that slides in side B. so it telescoped at one time. but do to way big tube. it rocked lose all the time. pore in some Gorilla glue. to make a gasket. to close the gap in tube B . that worked. but then it was to stiff. made the top flex were pot rivet held hinge. it broke. fix it but left that junk part off.. got a nicer kick stand on now.

Latest posts

Back