BO15 Chewy's Fallout Twin

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalchewy

For the love of the Ride 🚲 🔥
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This bike has been rolling around in my mind for a couple of years now. I've been so busy with work and play, I haven't been building like I would like.

With the hot suer coming, and OBC just around the corner. ( Yeah, it's in September this year). I would like to make a showing for the week with something of my own design. I Would love to see any of you RRB class 2ers out there if you can make it.

I jotted the latest thought in the notebook, leaving me with this for a rough start.
IMG_20200607_082615-01.jpg

I pulled some hot rolled tubing out of the garage. Was dirty, so I wiped it down with some alcohol.
IMG_20200607_091958.jpg

Then flattened it with the current grain and top marked it at each foot.

IMG_20200607_103557.jpg

Gonna fill in an end and pack it with sand next.

Building.... ....Riding

MC is on board! Looking forward to what you 'cook up' in that Vegas heat!
RaT oN~!

You must be doing some old school bending if you are taking the packed sand route. Looking forward to seeing your vision come to life.

MC is on board! Looking forward to what you 'cook up' in that Vegas heat!
RaT oN~!
Thanks OJ, should be a hot build. Literally... [emoji48]
Looking forward to this one!
Thanks, hope. It turns out as I picture...
You must be doing some old school bending if you are taking the packed sand route. Looking forward to seeing your vision come to life.
Very old school...

Plan on taking that 3/4 inch hot rolled tubing and use this plumbers tri stand, and maybe a conduit bender or two, and eventually a couple of custom made presses on the stays, to get every bend I need.
IMG_20200608_175105.jpg

Just adding the sand to make sure things don't get too kinky in the process.

I jb welded a plug in one end and wrapped it place, in case...
IMG_20200608_175401.jpg

Then put about 6cups of sand own each length. Will get the ladder out to top it off and fill the end with jbweld, and the wrap it too.
IMG_20200608_175425.jpg

The 100mm BB arrived today. That with the 4130 BB Tube, Head Tube Stock, and the Steer Tube, will keep me busy for a bit.
IMG_20200608_174400.jpg

Still planning the bend order. More to come soon...

Building.... ....Riding

Never heard of this sand technique before, but it sounds pretty clever! I'm looking forward to seeing how your bike turns out.
Sand technique, pack the tubes full of sand so the won't kink easily when you do sharp bends.

Can also smash the tubing to oval them out .

3/4 hot rolled is harder to bend than cold rolled, so this helps ensure I don't waste a 12' length.

IMG_20200609_164503.jpg

Have a start on the upper bends and seat stay, this afternoon, will finish the chain stay and bottom tubes.
IMG_20200610_052839.jpg

I'm sure a nice 'warm' ambient temperature in the desert doesn't hurt the pliability of the steel tubing either.... :grin:

When it is hot, It does help a lot on the cold rolled stock, not as much on the hot rolled. It's just a bit harder to bend period.

It didn't get hot enough yesterday to even need gloves. In years passed, I've blistered my hand on a bare metal bike for sun exposure before. Also on the shift ball in the Dart, that gets really hot...
IMG_20200610_095245.jpg

GROOVY!!!!

And a few more bends, and a tire or two to give perspective...
IMG_20200610_150135.jpg

Not quite the outline on the drawing, but close...

Trying to decide whether to Oval the tubing before bending out the stays... I have some tooling to make for this anyhow, finding time tonight if I can.

Ovalizing the tubing in two different directions would increase strength in the rear stays for sure. That baby looks loooonnngggg!

Ovalizing the tubing in two different directions would increase strength in the rear stays for sure. That baby looks loooonnngggg!

Still working on how to best oval it out evenly.

Took some pics today from a different perspective to figure out the stays bends.

IMG_20200614_095004.jpg
IMG_20200614_094954.jpg

That flows great!!!! Cool to see that I won't have the only Twin Bar frame in BO15.

Is this gonna have a fat bike BB?
Yes, I have a 100mm bottom bracket and the Chromoly BB Tube to go with it.
That flows great!!!! Cool to see that I won't have the only Twin Bar frame in BO15.
I was glad to see another twin as well. Been wanting to do a double-bar twin for awhile. Once it's on the rack will add the last two tubes in.

Got a little side-tracked today. Turned the "Bomber 40 Special" into an Urban Bomber.

IMG_20200616_130057.jpg

Gave this to my best friend of 39 years last January. He wore the third set of rock tires off it, since I built it 4years ago, so added the Frank's and put the yellowed white rim strip back on it
IMG_20200616_133351.jpg

Back to the build soon.

Latest posts

Back