China Grove Schwinn Stingray

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I picked this Schwinn up a couple of weeks ago on EBay. It is a China built Schwinn Select Series Stingray. It has some issues... bent handlebars, bent seat, bent chain guard, head badge mangled, missing pedals, rusty and dented rear rim, rusty front rim and any part that has bearings in it does not move smoothly.
I took it completely apart and commenced to cleaning and repacking with grease. All of the bearings were fine wiped out the old grease and repacked. I ordered a generic seat and sissy bar, handle bars and a classic Schwinn chain guard. I have a pair of old Vista pedals for it as well. Cleaned all of the rusty chrome with WD-40 and aluminum foil.
After 2 hours of work it was finished. The rear hub is not acting right though, it pedals and stops but seems to have a bit of a rattle when coasting. I'm not sure what's going on with that... Yet.
DSCN0949.jpg

DSCN0950.jpg

DSCN0951.jpg

DSCN0960.jpg

DSCN0959.jpg

DSCN0958.jpg

Is that a Chinese (Pacific) built Schwinn or a Taiwan (Giant) built one?
Asking because my Taiwan (Giant) built Schwinn cruiser has a similar front fork and most of the Chinese bikes have the forks made of round tube.

Is that a Chinese (Pacific) built Schwinn or a Taiwan (Giant) built one?
Asking because my Taiwan (Giant) built Schwinn cruiser has a similar front fork and most of the Chinese bikes have the forks made of round tube.
It is China made. Had the "MADE IN CHINA" decal on the head tube. The forks are tube type pressed to mimic the original look.
Stay tuned and wait for the decal I make for the chain guard.

So what are these little rays worth . Mine is 2004 & it dose have a really head badge , fenders . & supper clean no rust ? I also have the original sissy bar ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what are these little rays worth . Mine is 2004 & it dose have a really head badge , fenders . & supper clean no rust ? I also have the original sissy bar ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well the WalMart Schwinn's sold for $88 so these were probably in that range. They may be worth less considering the WalMart ones had springer forks. I don't know where these particular models sold at. WalMart Schwinn's seem to be up in price.
The ones built in Taiwan were the better built ones. Welds were dead on like the Chicago built Schwinn's. I had a 2012 built Apple Krate and after taxes I paid $435 for it. These were also only available at authorized Schwinn Bicycle Dealers. 225 of each were produced, i.e., Apple, Orange, Lemon Krate, Pea Picker and Gray Ghost.

Latest posts

Back