Chrome Fleetwoods

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought two chrome 1970 Sears Fleetwoods and now in process of semi restoring one of them. Striped the old clear coat off the chrome and polished it. New cables and white cable housing, cleaned as much as possible (might have to have the wheels re spoked to get the hubs nice and have chrome or stainless steel spokes).

The dilemma is how far to go? I got decal graphics done and ready to send to vinyl guy but the cost is more than I have in both bikes so far, also the original tires are if'y and if sold to a rider they need new tires and then again I am over what I could sell the bike for.

If I decide to keep them I do the boy's bike this year, new decals, new all white tires, chrome spokes and other cool items but I could incur the cost of a Schwinn Paramount ( I know where there is one near by for a great price),,,,, but then again I would have the only restored and super cool chrome 1970 Fleetwood.

What to do,,,hmmmm?

First disassemble

After clear coat removal and polish and reassemble

Very nice leather seat

Last edited:
That bike is a thing of beauty. I don't think decals would add anything to it.
If it fits and suits you, I would replace the tires to be safe.
Thanks it is coming along great. I do have the decision to custom it (no decals, custom head badge, other) or make it a restoration. I have ordered the decals and might go the restoration route, but you never say never :)

Here is my artwork for the decals (along side the originals) that are being made from vinyl -click on pic for larger image.

Last edited:
Bought two chrome 1970 Sears Fleetwoods and now in process of semi restoring one of them. Striped the old clear coat off the chrome and polished it. New cables and white cable housing, cleaned as much as possible (might have to have the wheels re spoked to get the hubs nice and have chrome or stainless steel spokes).

The dilemma is how far to go? I got decal graphics done and ready to send to vinyl guy but the cost is more than I have in both bikes so far, also the original tires are if'y and if sold to a rider they need new tires and then again I am over what I could sell the bike for.

If I decide to keep them I do the boy's bike this year, new decals, new all white tires, chrome spokes and other cool items but I could incur the cost of a Schwinn Paramount ( I know where there is one near by for a great price),,,,, but then again I would have the only restored and super cool chrome 1970 Fleetwood.

What to do,,,hmmmm?

First disassemble

After clear coat removal and polish and reassemble

Very nice leather seat
That is so cool!
I actually rode one of those in highschool for a while after my ten speed died of acute cotter pinitis!
It was my dad's old ride and I thought it was going to be awful, but it actually was .... cool, although I did take heat from my friends for "chroming it" to school on an "uncool" bike! I so wish I'd had the foresight to stash it away for the future.
Nice one!

Latest posts

Back