Chuck Wagon

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Started this build Wednesday but hadn't started a thread till now because I had trouble coming up with a name for it. Decided to do something different this year from what I been doing. My brother Chuck has been asking for me to build him a trike so l found one that I could replace the one I had with to use for the build. I was debating between 2 different frames to use in the build a margarita ville and a roadmaster aspen.
20210504_171526.jpg
20210504_171440.jpg
Decided to go with the roadmaster because it looked the easiest to join to the trike rear. This is the trike that I am using the rear section.
20210504_171337.jpg
Cut the back off the trike behind the seat post and just in front of the chain stay brace.
20210504_174408.jpg
20210504_174402.jpg

Chopped the dropouts off the roadmaster and the bottom chain stays slid into the ones on the trike with a little more modification.
20210504_181722.jpg
20210504_183703.jpg

The what's now mid chain stays needed a little added to them to reach the seat post.
20210504_194917.jpg

Then just got all that tacked together that was it for that day.

On day 2 needed to figure out what I want to do with the top chain stays on the roadmaster figured i could just use a piece of angle iron bolt it to the top of the trike rear and use them to brace the top of the trike rear section. Sorry about the picture but it was after work when I got to get to work on it and got dark on me.
20210505_202948.jpg

On the next day just pretty much got everything mocked up and trying to figure out where I'm going from there got an idea just need to figure out how to accomplish it.
20210508_180255.jpg

That's where I am at this point went fishing yesterday then took a nap pretty much shot the day and today being mother's day no working on it today.

Your proportions look good, front to back on this trike build. With the name 'Chuck Wagon' I'm seeing a wooden platform with stave sides in the back. Maybe a wood burned or laser engraved sign that says "Chuck". :bigsmile:

Your proportions look good, front to back on this trike build. With the name 'Chuck Wagon' I'm seeing a wooden platform with stave sides in the back. Maybe a wood burned or laser engraved sign that says "Chuck". :bigsmile:
Thinking more along the line of what the Chuck wagon was for feeding the cowboys on the cattle drive.

You really meshed those two frames together well. I like the flow so far!

On day 2 needed to figure out what I want to do with the top chain stays on the roadmaster figured i could just use a piece of angle iron bolt it to the top of the trike rear and use them to brace the top of the trike rear section. Sorry about the picture but it was after work when I got to get to work on it and got dark on me.View attachment 156918
On the next day just pretty much got everything mocked up and trying to figure out where I'm going from there got an idea just need to figure out how to accomplish it.View attachment 156919
That's where I am at this point went fishing yesterday then took a nap pretty much shot the day and today being mother's day no working on it today.
Those lines are spot-on. Your brother's going to have a sweet ride!

So my original plan for the seat was a fail single bike seat spring was a little to soft so I found a Springer fork spring and got a longer hinge. Worked out much better this way
20210518_191757.jpg

Then I figured out how I wanted to do on the rear section. Had some old pine bed rails to use for the sides of the "bed" and tailgate.
20210516_185525.jpg
20210516_185823.jpg
20210516_170816.jpg
20210518_190533.jpg
20210518_190550.jpg
20210518_190610.jpg
20210518_191141.jpg

Need to get another piece of chain for the other side of the gate still figure out what bars I want to use. Probably gonna make a tank out of wood what forks I wanna use then everything else.

Attachments

• 20210518_190610.jpg
    20210518_190610.jpg
    407.3 KB · Views: 59
Nice work on the hinge seat and the wagon bed.

So my original plan for the seat was a fail single bike seat spring was a little to soft so I found a Springer fork spring and got a longer hinge. Worked out much better this wayView attachment 158140
Then I figured out how I wanted to do on the rear section. Had some old pine bed rails to use for the sides of the "bed" and tailgate.
View attachment 158143View attachment 158141View attachment 158139View attachment 158142View attachment 158138View attachment 158137View attachment 158144
Need to get another piece of chain for the other side of the gate still figure out what bars I want to use. Probably gonna make a tank out of wood what forks I wanna use then everything else.
Love the way it's coming together!

Somehow I lost some of the pictures I had taken of the work done Saturday. I started the feeding part of my build using a old bedframe and a tank from a junk air compressor. First I made a rectangle base for the trailer then I used part of the down tube from then original trike frame to make a hitch.
20210527_183109.jpg
20210527_183115.jpg

Used more bedframe for the legs holding up the tank which I am turning into a grill. Originally had the grill about 4" higher then decided to lower it thinking it might be top heavy. Cut the legs slid them down then welded them together. Don't have other pics except for the pic where I am at today.
20210527_183319.jpg

Next up will be cutting out the lid welding on some hinges and a handle of some sort. Thinking I want to slide the bed forward as far as I can to center of the axle or close as possible. But I'm gonna have to figure out how with not much room between it and the top seat stays probably notching around them but don't want to get into the bed to much.

Somehow I lost some of the pictures I had taken of the work done Saturday. I started the feeding part of my build using a old bedframe and a tank from a junk air compressor. First I made a rectangle base for the trailer then I used part of the down tube from then original trike frame to make a hitch.View attachment 159170View attachment 159171
Used more bedframe for the legs holding up the tank which I am turning into a grill. Originally had the grill about 4" higher then decided to lower it thinking it might be top heavy. Cut the legs slid them down then welded them together. Don't have other pics except for the pic where I am at today. View attachment 159173
Next up will be cutting out the lid welding on some hinges and a handle of some sort. Thinking I want to slide the bed forward as far as I can to center of the axle or close as possible. But I'm gonna have to figure out how with not much room between it and the top seat stays probably notching around them but don't want to get into the bed to much.
Pretty sweet looking so far

The grill is a great idea! Party wagon! However, as a fork lift operator, I have concerns. With the majority of the mass up high in the barell, your load center is going to be quite high on the trailer, could lead to instability. Picture balancing a hammer vertically on your palm, head down is much easier to manage. Adding weight, like a steel plate in the base, could stabilize it a bit.

The grill is a great idea! Party wagon! However, as a fork lift operator, I have concerns. With the majority of the mass up high in the barell, your load center is going to be quite high on the trailer, could lead to instability. Picture balancing a hammer vertically on your palm, head down is much easier to manage. Adding weight, like a steel plate in the base, could stabilize it a bit.
That's what I was thinking before I lowered it 4" but it's not like he'll be riding it fast or anything and will probably just ride without the grill to store to get beer n stuff.

Latest posts

Back