Classic movies

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We signed up to Netflix a while ago and boy, what a selection of classic movies they have!

I watched 'The Birds' on the computer today, one of my all time favorites. If you've never seen this I highly reccomend it.

I watched 'The Grapes of Wrath' for the first time last night. Not nearly as good as the book but still not bad.

'The Old Man and the Sea' is in my queue but the rest of the family gets their turn first. Ive seen it before but it's worth seeing again.

Watched 'Animal House' online also the other night.

'Space Balls' should be here for Tuesday.

Any suggestions?

We dig the classics also...I'll throw these out not knowing what yall like.

- Rear Window
- Shenandoah
- Fiddler on the Roof
- 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
- The Great Escape
- Chariots of Fire
- Mutiny on the Bounty
- Cool Hand Luke
- Bullitt

We are also now watching the John Adams series that HBO did....it's been awesome so far...

It's a multi-disc set that has two or three episodes per disc...Netflix has it.

http://www.hbo.com/john-adams/index.html

john-adams.jpg

if youre into silents i can name a ton of great ones.....
as far as talkies go....im guessing youve seen it but alls quite on the western fronts a great one
if youre into really bad 50'-70's b movies i can give you some name as well(need to know genres though)
btw...i posted in this thread so its now officially been killed! sorry :lol:

Netflix is the best!!! An idea that i want to push to people that get it is to try and watch movies that they normally wouldn't especially if you watch on your computer. I have seen some really good things that I would have just normally passed by because of it.

Concerning good older movies
Double Indemnity is good... if Netflix has it.

We are probably one of the few families that has been "TV free" (as in no antenna) for 11 years now. We watch movies on the computer and when i can get a little more cash in the bank to replace my vintage DLP we'll have home theatre again.

The John Adams series was excellent. That's the nice thing about Netflix, by easily navigating the website you can find stuff you never would have in the video store. One of my personal favorite comedy is Blazing Saddles!. Just watched Taking Woodstock on Netflix which was kind of interresting (not my generation). We were hooked on the Burn Notice series.

Best car movies: The original Gone in 60 seconds and Ronin are my favorites. I need to see Drive and Bullitt though.

Shawshank Redemption
Waiting (you'll think twice about going out to dinner)
Office Space
Flight of the Conchords
BIKING MOVIES: America Flyers, Quicksilver

Im not sure what kind of genres you like....
But if you like Sci-Fi
The Matrix trilogy is a great one, makes you think

Back to the Future trilogy is allways awesome
Terminator Trilogy
Ghostbusters
Coming to America
Trading Places
The Bourne Trilogy
Anything from Pixar
Cars
Bugs Life
Incredibles
Toy Story 1+2
Wal-E
Finding Nemo
They seem like little kids movies, but theyre still great

Uhhh...
The Last Castle
The Green Mile
Pulp Fiction
Project X(i think thats the title...the one with the monkeys)
Seinfeld Seasons 1-9 are all worth watching
Ferris Beuler(Spelling)
Bolt
Hot Rod is a hilarious one

Fargo is a good Dramatic Comedy, about the guy who chopped up his wife...Its funnier than it sounds...It does get kind of bad, as i think it is R.

I could go on...but that would take forever

OH!
The Truman Show is a MUST WATCH

Edit-THis was my 3000th Post

Not all classics but just movies off the top of my head.

A couple other good Mel Brooks- Young Frankenstein, Men in Tights
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest
They Shoot Horse's, Don't they? Great movie but thoroughly depressing
Rebel Without a Cause
The Elephant Man
The Bicycle Thief
Everything is Illuminated
Sunset Bouelvard
Harold and Maude
Bonnie and Clyde (with Warren Beatty)
The Purple Rose of Cairo
Citizen Kane
The Manchurian Candidate
Ikiru
The Burbs
Rashomon
To Kill a Mockingbird

If you like animation at all anything my Hayao Miyazaki particularly 'Spirited Away' and 'Howl's Moving Castle'

My favorite movie of all time is an under rated classic with George C Scott called "The Flim Flam Man" Set in Kentucky in 1967, it mixes humor with serious tones about integrity. Try it.

ooh, oooh, my turn :D

the best future comedy classic hardly anyone has seen? the original version of 'the in-laws' with peter falk and alan arkin. the fact that they attempted a remake with michael douglas and albert brooks is nothing short of balsphemy :x

drama classics? bogart! although personally i don't care much for 'the africa queen'....more of a 'treasure of the sierra madre', 'maltese falcon', 'key largo' kinda guy.

western classic? 'winchester 73' with jimmy stewart. like john wayne, several of his westerns are great, many are just plain corny.

most underrated quentin tarantino movie? jackie brown. no doubt. most overrated qt movie? all the others.... :lol:

best puppet movie? 'team america'. best family friendly puppet movie without puppet sex? 'muppet treasure island'.

best war movie to come out of australia? 'beaker morant'.

yeah, my categories are pretty random................ :wink:

my fav movies in general

all time favorite - the jerk
sam raimi stuff - evil dead / evil dead 2 / army of darkness (evil dead 2 is the best)
coen brothers movies are great - raising arizona / obrother where art thou / big lebowski (not a kid friendly movie)
weird stuff - 1982, dark city, the beach,u-turn,
any clint eastwood western
road warrior / mad max / mad max beyond thunderdome
big trouble in little china (cheesy action movie)
blues brothers
anchorman
arsenic and old lace
..... theres tons of good movies

Awsome suggestions guys. I guess my tastes run more along the lines of Ratrod's and Kram's. 'Bullitt' was already in my queue and 'The Great Escape', 'The Rear Window', and 'Rebel Without a Cause' will soon be also.

Here's some of my favorites:

'The Ten Commandments' -It should be on tv soon.

'The Birds' -awesome Hitchcock.

'Patton' -George C. Scott is one of my favorite actors.

'Animal House' -what can I say.

'The Omega Man' -cool Charlton Heston flick.

'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest' -please don't tell me you haven't seen this.

'Lifeboat' -awesome early Hitchcock based on a Steinbeck novel.

'The Sandlot' -awesome PG kids movie that has some cool old bicycles in a couple scenes to boot.

'The Outlaw Josie Wales' -Clint Eastwood western.

'Day of the Triffids' -I've only seen the early version. Amusingly hoakey science fiction/horror flick. I can't believe the did a remake.

can't go wrong with back to the future!!! how about the aposlte w/robert duval? that movie is awesome! surprised though, didn't see anyone with the movie "rad" on their list? very cool 80's bmx movie, i think it was pretty low budget, still cool w/all the vintage bmx bikes. best vampire movie-the lost boys.

Who can forget the ultimate car movie. We watched 'Spaceballs' last night. I still crack up when they hit the emergency stop. Next up is a 'Mr. Bean' season collection disc.

well ill say this one is my all time favorite to this day.....THE JERK :mrgreen:
and if you havent seen true romance i highly suggest you watch it(dont let the name fool you or the fact that christian slater is in it :lol: its really high up on my list of great films)....

Here's a few I like:

Dark Passage-Bogey & Bacall flick, I actually have it on DVD!
A Night to Remember-B&W tale of the Titanic
Castaway-Tom Hanks
Vanishing Point
Smokey & The Bandit 1
Grease- Don't know why, but I love it!
Oh God!

I always try to identify those bikes the kids are riding when they try to catch Forrest Gump as he breaks free of his leg braces.

Floyd said:
My favorite movie of all time is an under rated classic with George C Scott called "The Flim Flam Man" Set in Kentucky in 1967, it mixes humor with serious tones about integrity. Try it.

Agreed, this one is in my top 10, could be that I saw it when it first came out ( nostalgia is a strong thing ) or the fact that it captures that decade well for me, George is no slouch either.

Latest posts

Back