Cleveland Welder name change: Silver Flyer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm going to do a bike up as a tribute to Cleveland Welding Company. They made Roadmasters, so I'll use my frame, although it's an early 60's Arkansas made Roadmaster, for this build. I've got an old seat, a Sachs 3 speed, and a set of old Carlyle tires to start with.

111mglk.jpg

14xksxc.jpg

Re: Cleveland Welder

While cleaning the garage, I found my old new departure hub and skiptooth sprocket from an old Western Flyer. It had a springer on it that looked like the kind I've seen on CWC bikes. Were late 40's WF's made by CWC?

Well, I researched and it looks like they did, so this bike will be skip tooth. Sure wish I had the springer.

2zrnhxf.jpg

Thanks, I think I have the only Roadmaster frame in the build off that wasn't made in Cleveland, the rest are straightbar. I also have a springer that might work, a beehive that might fit the frame.

The beehive looks like it will work. I have to clean up some of the repair weld on the inside of the tube so the stem fits properly. I checked my old tires, hoping they would be lightning darts and still usable. They just need a good cleaning.

okrf3a.jpg

1z1422t.jpg

I still haven't gotten any real work done, still getting parts together. I dug up some copper parts.
o75350.jpg

I'm thinking this whole bike will be bare metal, except for some chrome. I have researched clear coating, penetrol coating, and just plain oiling. Haven't decided.

The springer is too short. I would have to trim some of the head tube for it to barely fit. The original forks are good so I'll use them. I changed my drive train setup again, and am going with the star sprocket that goes with that frame, and Roadmaster is famous for that sprocket. I don't think any of the other Roadmasters in the build off are using one, so it's a go. I want to keep it all American, so the Sachs 3 speed is out. I have my old red band bendix hub from way back when that I know is good. I used it 30 years ago, although it doesn't seem that long ago. Where does the time go?
souzvm.jpg

I'm still undecided on handlebars and seat.

I'm keeping this as low cost as possible. I will use this seat, but still have to decide on handlebars. I've got an old sears frame with a front carrier or truss rod thing I'm going to use also, it just needs straightened. My biggest cost issue will be the paint and sandblasting, unless I can find a cheaper way of getting everything down to bare metal.

2wf2tlk.jpg

24glk09.jpg

Does anyone have a picture of the "Cw" that they stamped near the serial numbers on old Roadmasters? I need to see how it's laid out for my build.

Wildcat said:
Does anyone have a picture of the "Cw" that they stamped near the serial numbers on old Roadmasters? I need to see how it's laid out for my build.

How's this -

CWC6.jpg

24Y.jpg

Frame_001.jpg

Each one of these is a different configuration but they all have the little "w" inside the "C". If you would like your frame accurately dated post pics of your bike with closeup shots of the serial number, bottom bracket and the area just behind the seat where the seat post, seat stays and cross bracket come together. I can forward them to Phil Marshall (rms37) and he'll log them into his data base and give you a complete description of the frame and year of production.

1st and 3rd pic got the Cw cut off somehow, but if the 2nd one is how they all look, that's good. I'm thinking of making up a brass plate with the Cw on it. I just need to find some brass sheeting and figure out how to stamp it.

edit: I saved the pic to my computer and the whole thing showed up. Thanks!

Got the truss straightened and a few more parts together.

2mc7qs1.jpg

Sandblasting the frame, forks, seat, and a couple wheels was quoted at $100, so it looks like I'll be wirebrushing everything. I'm removing rust and layers of paint. I wanted to avoid the mess, but not when my whole build budget is $50. I have a question. Should I use a steel wire brush or a brass brush on my drill?

Hit it with the brass brush for sure.

The brass brush only takes off the layers of paint that aren't original. I'm going to use a steel wire brush to see if that works better. Is there a reason not to use a steel brush? I almost gave up on a bare metal frame, but I've bought a couple cans of clear coat, so I'm committed. After it's down to bare metal, I'm going to use some fine sandpaper to smooth it out, then paint.

A little progress. I bought a couple of brass buttons for the bell, only needed one but this was the size I was looking for. The top of the bell is at the trophy shop now. I also bought a brass planter at a yard sale for a dollar to try something different with the star sprocket. It may or may not work.

33tglg4.jpg

al58q9.jpg

Latest posts

Back