Cleveland Welder name change: Silver Flyer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Cleveland Welder

I know clear coat will keep bare metal from rusting, but will it work with brass? Keep it from tarnishing?

Getting some actual work done.

2r6cu3a.jpg

if your trying to strip it with a drill/wire brush set up,it will take forever! :x a cheap angle grinder with a brass wheel will strip it clean in about an hour. higher rpm`s,more contact surface= less work,less aggravation! :D

I worked on it with brass and steel brushes for a couple hours with not much results. Maybe it will get paint after all, and maybe a name change.

Sometimes a bare seat pan looks good. This one doesn't so it got some new padding, stolen from a newer seat, and the old cover painted along with the handle grips.

2iuxle1.jpg

using burgundy acrylic paint
vowk15.jpg

handle grips to match, they were blue also, but 3 coats did the trick.
3169ftv.jpg

then finished off with 2 coats of car wax for that shiny look and it brought out the faux grain in the seat.
2vmxbb6.jpg

Heat index stays over 100 now, but I get a little done at union pace, 5 minutes work, one hour break. The original red is stubborn.

1zx5bww.jpg

It stays. 2 or 3 coats covers well, over any color. I didn't use car wax at first, it was an experiment to get it to shine. It didn't make the seat slippery either, just shine. 2 coats should get it looking like it came that way. I've done a few seats, but the only one I've ridden to any extent is on my Schwinn. It has held up well over the last year. The paint is fairly cheap, at craft stores or walmart. If I had any painting skills, I would have painted the "S" on this seat also. It's been over a year and it still looks good.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16572&p=201130&hilit=painting+seats#p167525

I'm using the heavy duty wheels from the tandem we never ride and used black shoe polish on the darts.

2iudo5v.jpg

name change: Silver Flyer

I wasn't sure if the chain guard would show in time, but it did, so the name change to Silver Flyer.
The welding tools I was going to weld on and attach wasn't working out as I had hoped.

2v93ig3.jpg

Got nothing done yesterday, 2 grand kids had a big birthday celebration. Finished the sanding this morning and primed the frame and forks. I think it would look good just hanging there as yard art.

o7pt9s.jpg

Thanks.

I had a Cleveland welding headbadge and decal, but didn't use them, I'm waiting for an earlier Cleveland welding frame for those. Beehive and wheels are ready. That's for the future though, I'm done working in 100 degree heat.

Latest posts

Back