Coaster Brake + Freewheel possible?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having seen that a 27.5' wheel that also has rim brake surfaces seems to be a bit ofa unicorn right now. I've decided 'why not look at this from another perspective?' My brother had said 'hey why not just run it without rear brakes?'

'Well that's stupid' was my first thought, which I hadn't voiced, but that also has me thinking to an Oldshovel video.

In the followup video where he goes through moab the kick shifting seems a bit futzy, but that concept of going back to the simplicity of 'oh hey slam back on the brake' while having that front wheel brake for additional stopping power.... or heck due to the casualness of how i ride just go completely oldschool coaster. I'm not going down mountains with this thing. Then again any potential road use it would be nice to have that front brake I suppose...

Then again for the prices involved there is that internal complaint 'huhuh new rear wheel at a minamum maybe having to get a new chain and other doodads, why not just get a new bike?'

I mean for me part of why I wanteda bike was to tinker and whie big box bikes have their problems I have heard a lot of good thigns about buying a simple hardtail frame and getting better parts.

Then again I have this little bug of a notion of having that rear coaster brake plus a full seven speed freewheel. Is that possible?

If that is not possible and i were to go through on a two speed coaster, would i need to replace the front chainring? Current chainring is a 32t.

I don't know about 7 speed free coaster, but I'm sure someone has put something together like that. As far as 27.5 with coaster hub, it would be as easy as finding the right length of spoke and lacing them together.if you want seven speeds and a coaster, maybe a Nexus hub by Shimano would be up your alley. 7 internal gears and coaster brake. They're pretty cool looking too
images (2).jpeg

It's not that i NEED all those gears it's more 'huh lets see what my options are'

Gonna try some laps with two or three gears (gear's two through four) to see how things feel.

I don't know about 7 speed free coaster, but I'm sure someone has put something together like that. As far as 27.5 with coaster hub, it would be as easy as finding the right length of spoke and lacing them together.if you want seven speeds and a coaster, maybe a Nexus hub by Shimano would be up your alley. 7 internal gears and coaster brake. They're pretty cool looking tooView attachment 183355
The hub on this photo is a roller brake hub. Also an option for you, @Singleton
Shimano makes 7 and 8 speed hubs both with coaster and roller brakes. I love coaster brakes on my bikes and try to run them on all of them when it is possible. The exception is when i run Nuvinci CVT hub, then i am limited to roller brake or disc brake options, so my choice is roller brake then because they are more durable and less maintenance demanding comparing to disc brakes.

Hm, Interesting.

How does a seven speed geared hub work? The kickshift I saw only had two gears to go between. So what back click with left pedal to shfit down and right pedal to shift up? Also while the prices seem a bit high...

That's replacing a gearshift, brake, derailiur, gearset, and is the wheel's hub.

How does a seven speed geared hub work? The kickshift I saw only had two gears to go between. So what back click with left pedal to shfit down and right pedal to shift up?
There's a bar mounted shifter. You are right about the price, I am waiting for the right one to pop up used

Where i am 7 speed Nexus hubs go for about 50$ for a new one (not from official store of course, otherwise it is 150$), 35$ for used one or 60$ for an entire old bike you can just rip off a wheelset and shifter from, slap some other wheels on and sell for 50$ :D
And yes, shifting is operated by a shifter with the cable. Kickback hubs only exist as two speed as i am aware.

Unfortunately around me is pretty lackluster on marketplace.

Though I have to wonder if anyone has experiance using just two gears since part of the idea behind kickshif and coaster is to simplfy things. I mean if i'm gonna do something dumb, do it right.

Unfortunately around me is pretty lackluster on marketplace.

Though I have to wonder if anyone has experiance using just two gears since part of the idea behind kickshif and coaster is to simplfy things. I mean if i'm gonna do something dumb, do it right.
I have ridden them a bit, but my girlfriend totally loves Sachs Duomatic on her Schwinn Corvette i've built for her two years ago. She has Nexus 7 on her other bike, early 1990's Huffy California Cruiser, but surprisingly prefers two gears over seven stating it is more comfortable for her. So yes, chances are you'd like this change. Best is of course to find someone with a similar setup and try it out.

Latest posts

Back