Cobble Klunker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gonna build this bike anyway, so i may as well enter the build-off.
Bought a neglected generic ¨marketing¨ cruiser with a decent wheelset and tires for 20E.
The crankset is bent, but i have spare parts.
This is how it looked (yuk):
IMG_20210607_172328.jpg

Better already:
IMG_20210607_211003.jpg

Gettin dark, sorry for the bad pic but this is sort of where i am heading:
IMG_20210607_221728.jpg

The black/silver paint scheme doesn,t look to bad with the pink crap removed, it fits the fork.
Gonna do something decorative with the tankplate, maybe some cool graphics..

Yeah man, nothing wrong with that bike. It is basically a blank canvas for you to do as you want. Everything will be an improvement

I found a company who sells ¨branded¨ products for promotional purpose per unit,
from skateboards to bicycles. They sell the same cruiser..
Found a more high-end fork in the attic, it is threadless, trying an ahead conversion:
IMG_20210608_193934.jpg

Bought an uncooperative BMX for the three piece crank but the left-side alanbold-cap is damaged, so it wan,t come off. the cap on the right side came off, but the crank seems to be corroded stuck:mad:
IMG_20210608_195151.jpg

At least the pedals, headset, spacers and some other stuff is salvagable,
might use the handlebars.
Please come off!!
IMG_20210608_195159.jpg

Welcome to the build off fun! Sounds like you are already 'in the groove'!

Try some PB Blaster or other penetrating oil spray on that crank bolt. The other thing is, will the cups and bottom bracket spindle from the kid bmx fit in your big boy frame? Looks like bmx is a 3 piece crank, and your klunker has a one piece crank currently.

If you manage to get the BMX crankset free, here’s the BB kit I picked up for adding a similar style crankset to a build of mine with a traditional ‘American’ type BB shell. Just be sure to measure the diameter of your spindle first some are 19mm, others are 21mm.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/373443943496

It is a similar three-piece as the one below, so it will fit my BB.
There is no real need in getting the right arm of, since it will not come out from the left.
So i will drill through the hex-hoie to remove the cap, see if i can get the left arm loose and then try to remove the remaining bolt by tightening two nuts on to unscrew..
s-l1000.jpg

Finished the a-head conversion with the new fork and tried the blue BMX bars for looks.
Will paint them black if i decide to use them but not sure yet:
IMG_20210609_134041.jpg

IMG_20210609_134056.jpg

Kinda like the shape , and it,s quite comfortable.

It is a similar three-piece as the one below, so it will fit my BB.
There is no real need in getting the right arm of, since it will not come out from the left.
So i will drill through the hex-hoie to remove the cap, see if i can get the left arm loose and then try to remove the remaining bolt by tightening two nuts on to unscrew..
View attachment 160633
Finished the a-head conversion with the new fork and tried the blue BMX bars for looks.
Will paint them black if i decide to use them but not sure yet:
View attachment 160634
View attachment 160635
Kinda like the shape , and it,s quite comfortable.
I have that crankset going on my BO16 entry!

That BMX bar on 26er set up is very comfy! I have a set of chrome ones that I will prob never use. Will send for the price of shipping.

Edit* I just noticed you are in Amsterdam. The shipping probably wouldn't be worth it!
196625096_149467157240919_3355582241309017558_n.jpg

Great to see yet another European builder jumping in this year.
We should ressurrect to old build off world map we had a few years back.

Cool project. And awesome that you are joining the build off. My projects started a few week too early to participate unfortunately, but I am happy with last years build off. It was a blast!

Are you going to ride it in the Netherlands? You are welcome to join me in a Klunker ride here in the forests :thumbsup:

If you need some parts, I have a lot lying about. Also some black BMX handlebars that you can have for free (only shipping)

These handlebars, but in black

Send me a PM if you need anything.

Good luck with your build off, I will keep an eye on this build.

Thanx Bart, love your bikes.
Maybe we should have a Dutch Rat Rod Ride sometime, i am not sure how many dutch builders are on the forum, but there seems to be least four of us.
If i need any parts i,ll let you know but my attic was so filled i donated most of it to a charity bike project.
Took the upholstery of the rotten cruiser seat to try and convert it into a bobber-style inspired seat:
IMG_20210610_114922.jpg

Traced the outline of the topcover on the seatpan to cut it out:
IMG_20210610_115119.jpg

IMG_20210610_121941.jpg

Was really curious to see how it looked so used some doublesided to put the cover on:
IMG_20210610_132337.jpg

It is rather comfy, since the plastic flexes a bit, might not even need more cushioning.
Not sure about the look tho..yet.

Latest posts

Back