Coda

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
coda
noun
co·da | \ ˈkō-də \
1a: a concluding musical section that is formally distinct from the main structure
b: a concluding part of a literary or dramatic work
2: something that serves to round out, conclude, or summarize and usually has its own interest

After a dozen or so Sting-Rays over the last decade, I’ve reached a point in my life where my time, resources and energies really need to be focused elsewhere. It’s time to simplify, which means curtailing all the chasing after and hoarding of old bicycle parts and projects. Doesn’t mean I won’t ride, or that I won’t be interested in watching the creativity of others, and I’m sure I’ll need to resist the urge to “build just one more.”

But I gotta have at least one Sting-Ray. And so, Coda.

Coda is a 1965 Schwinn Sting-Ray Model J38. I believe the frame, fork, guard, crank, handlebars, gooseneck and wheels have been together since ‘65. I also have the original seatpost and white chubby grips. All of the parts on this bike were made by either Schwinn, Persons or Union in West Germany, and all are at least 50 years old, with the exception of the seat post (Schwinn, mid 70’s) and the valve stem caps, and only the Good Lord knows where they came from.

I’m very happy with how this bike turned out, and believe I like this Sting-Ray better than any I’ve had, save the ‘70 Cotton Picker I got off the showroom floor when I was 8 or 9 years old. Coda is a keeper.

Build thread: https://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/coda.107821/

Hat tip to Steve for the great forum and many thanks to all who contribute to the community.

C1D4E54C-63BC-4275-ADB5-2E81A905C237.jpeg

580B4904-D776-482F-BAF9-A2B8BB84870E.jpeg

F5BD8A99-1771-410F-AEEF-4A96F3278677.jpeg

6333D0E8-AE3B-4307-9B86-50B1FE581775.jpeg

FA65A239-B5E5-4396-A13F-F104E01DFC5C.jpeg

ACEE1D55-5CE9-466C-90AE-9CF8D3CC8E38.jpeg

5581C8DF-6C6B-4AE1-85BA-79F448630131.jpeg

A28D3AD7-3CF3-4969-A31A-DBABD839791B.jpeg

691CCB1C-A83D-4D2B-9C95-9690D2D40103.jpeg

DF8B334F-85D0-41C9-893A-C5304DC89A67.jpeg

DAA203B3-75AD-4A5F-B9A6-0B15573804DA.jpeg

F65EB68E-B218-452B-8D42-80A58A0DF841.jpeg

furyus

Last edited:
The word "patina" gets thrown around a lot, but this build is an amazing example of it. Love to look at this and wonder what it was doing and who was riding it in 1965, or '66, or '71...

Muscly and Rusty; doesn't get much better than that. I have always enjoyed your literary sense, and your sensibility as a builder. Stay thirsty, my friend.

The word "patina" gets thrown around a lot, but this build is an amazing example of it. Love to look at this and wonder what it was doing and who was riding it in 1965, or '66, or '71...

Thanks, Selector. Fascinated by it myself. Old abandoned cars that were someone’s pride and joy back in ‘49 or ‘58 or ‘67. Love sitting by an old car and listening to it decay. Silence, punctuated by the song of a bird or the rustle of leaves in the breeze, and maybe, if the wind is right, a creak or a groan from the car itself. One of my favorite things, and a big influence on this build.

furyus

Muscly and Rusty; doesn't get much better than that. I have always enjoyed your literary sense, and your sensibility as a builder. Stay thirsty, my friend.

Sense and Sensibility: A Builder’s Story. A Lifetime Channel special; watch your local listings (do people watch local listings anymore?). Too bad the name is taken.

You’re too kind, Odd, and thirsty has gotten me in trouble. Now I stay hydrated.

furyus

Nice work, love this bike and really enjoyed the build thread!

Thank you Luke. Fist bump all the way across the planet. Thank YOU for all the constant support and enthusiasm you show everyone here. If we could meet in person I’d make Odd Job give you a hug.

furyus

Thank you Luke. Fist bump all the way across the planet. Thank YOU for all the constant support and enthusiasm you show everyone here. If we could meet in person I’d make Odd Job give you a hug.

furyus
:21: :thumbsup:

Great build. Really enjoyed reading through your build thread, your approach and, the final result is exactly what this fine little ride deserved.

Dear Furyus,

You know, I'm not sure if I can, in all good conscience, vote for Coda - and here's why:

1) You've already told me that you now want to build yet another bike; so at this point we’re on like Coda 4.0 which pretty much defeats the purpose of naming it Coda!

coda
noun
co·da | \ ˈkō-də \

something that serves to round out, conclude, or end (the insane bike building undertaken by your husband (that last part is mine)

2) You know I like when our bikes are parked together in the basement and all...but...you also know I'm a girl and therefore like things all clean and shiny and pretty (“pristine”)! Well this “Coda” (ahem ahem) is almost too rusty and grungy and greasy for me! I had to look away at some of the gory pictures in your build thread. And don’t even get me started on the dead spider and 50 year old blood – that you’re “keeping” : O

What you think is beautiful “patina” and “corrosion” and “Schwinn blah blah blah” (that's nice baby) is just a bunch of dirt and muck to me. Yes, you’re my husband; but come on…dirt is dirt! And I don't think I can easily overlook this when voting.

Aaannnddd (can’t you just hear me saying that) there are plenty of other very clean and shiny bikes in the MBBO 2018 that I can easily vote for - in both Class 1 and 2! I'm really conflicted here.

Maybe we could make a little deal....say… You do everything I ask (grocery shopping, letting me drive, going to the quilt show, opera, etc. (and all the other things you hate with the heat of a thousand suns), for the next month, and I'll overlook the dirt, and even the blood, and vote for your bike?! Deal?

Love,
BabyDoll

Dear Furyus,

You know, I'm not sure if I can, in all good conscience, vote for Coda - and here's why:

1) You've already told me that you now want to build yet another bike; so at this point we’re on like Coda 4.0 which pretty much defeats the purpose of naming it Coda!

coda
noun
co·da | \ ˈkō-də \

something that serves to round out, conclude, or end (the insane bike building undertaken by your husband (that last part is mine)

2) You know I like when our bikes are parked together in the basement and all...but...you also know I'm a girl and therefore like things all clean and shiny and pretty (“pristine”)! Well this “Coda” (ahem ahem) is almost too rusty and grungy and greasy for me! I had to look away at some of the gory pictures in your build thread. And don’t even get me started on the dead spider and 50 year old blood – that you’re “keeping” : O

What you think is beautiful “patina” and “corrosion” and “Schwinn blah blah blah” (that's nice baby) is just a bunch of dirt and muck to me. Yes, you’re my husband; but come on…dirt is dirt! And I don't think I can easily overlook this when voting.

Aaannnddd (can’t you just hear me saying that) there are plenty of other very clean and shiny bikes in the MBBO 2018 that I can easily vote for - in both Class 1 and 2! I'm really conflicted here.

Maybe we could make a little deal....say… You do everything I ask (grocery shopping, letting me drive, going to the quilt show, opera, etc. (and all the other things you hate with the heat of a thousand suns), for the next month, and I'll overlook the dirt, and even the blood, and vote for your bike?! Deal?

Love,
BabyDoll

i dont always.jpg

furyus :inlove:

Last edited:
Great build. Really enjoyed reading through your build thread, your approach and, the final result is exactly what this fine little ride deserved.

Appreciate it, TJ. Look forward to seeing your finished ride and whatever you've got next.

furyus

Dear Furyus,

coda
noun
co·da | \ ˈkō-də \

Love,
BabyDoll
This was gold!

Latest posts

Back