Collegiate remix

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I'd like to find some 26 x 1.75 tires that have a look similar to these, but are rated a little better than the 45 PSI that these are rated for. Anybody have suggestions?
If you don't mind gumwalls, Panaracer Pasela. They roll really well on pavement and can handle light dirt use.

If you don't mind gumwalls, Panaracer Pasela. They roll really well on pavement and can handle light dirt use.
Actually, I DO like gumwalls/skinwalls. I had wanted to use Paselas on another project recently but ended up with something else; I forget why now. Thanks for reminding me, I'll start searching online for them.

I put the 1.5s on this Hercules for my daughter and she loved how they rolled at the high end of their PSI rating.
CRHerc.jpg

Michelin County Rock have a little more rolling resistance than slicks at high psi, nice light casing, and I like the look. They do pick up gravel in the tread though. Tick tick tick tick tick tick!
View attachment 161949
Actually, these are already on the candidate list. I have a set on last year's build-off bike, and I really like them. It might just have been you that suggested them at the time.
20210620_100155.jpg

Friends and neighbors, I think this is the final configuration. Just gonna pick away at details from here on out. It's nowhere near as BMX-y as I had envisioned at first, but I like it.
20210620_093408.jpg
20210620_093714.jpg

If you're thinking it's kind of anticlimactic, well, you're not wrong. Fact is, I really like the way the stock Collegiate rides. All I really set out to do was to address a couple of improvements.
Polish_20210620_103320530.jpg

The one big thing I might change yet is to try a set of Wald 803 bars. I have them on a few other bikes and they work well for me.

Last edited:
I like your final version the best. The bars, little bigger black wall tires, Schwinn mattress saddle, and smaller chain ring all work well together.

Looks tight and right!

I really like this build. I'm an original Schwinn forged fork guy but your chrome forks look fine and are as strong if not stronger than the Schwinn fork. Pedal strike issues can be a problem. One of my road bikes can only be pedaled on the straights and very wide curves. I love the older larger bar you put on. Keep up the good work on your projects. Pictured is my older Schwinn Varsity with original fork sporting Velocity Chukar 700c wheels and a 10 speed cassette setup.
IMG_20190910_170000172.jpg

Nothing wrong with getting what you want for your build. It's difficult to stick to your vision sometimes
I know that feeling about sticking to your vision. I had all the parts ready and a clear idea in my head when I started. I keep flip flopping ideas in my head and lose track of the original plan. I took the weekend off for a little grillin and chillin. Time to get the train back on track. Sometimes you just got to walk away.

Sometimes you just got to walk away.

That's actually where I'm at now. I spent a few days tinkering constantly and flip-flopping stuff. Now I need a few days to step back and let it grow on me.

Also a good time to order some parts that I know I'll need... brake pads, tires, maybe a seatpost that doesn't require an adapter...

Mail call:
Gray Jagwire derailleur cable to match the gray brake cables.
20210624_162856.jpg

Schwinn 13/16 seatpost with 7/8 end for mounting "standard" seats, and repro Dia-Compe salmon-color pads.
20210624_170202.jpg

All the above was waiting when I got home from work, but Thursday is group Retro-Ride night... so all I did was the brake pads.
20210624_170443.jpg

20210624_172106.jpg
20210624_172120.jpg

Not gonna lie, I'm hesitant to change the cable housing. I just got it all dialed in with the scrap piece of black housing I dug up...

But then I think how good they will all look when they match...
20210624_171653.jpg

Also waiting on a set of tires. I ordered a pair of Vittoria Randonneurs in 26 x 1.75 from an outfit called Bike Barn in TX. I was having a hard time finding the Paselas in the right size, and I wanted something different from the Hard Rock, which I already have on another bike.

Last edited:
Vittoria Randos are a good tire, but don't roll nearly as well as the Paselas. One bonus thing about that fact is they are tougher than even the heavy duty Paselas, which used to be called Tour Guard but they keep changing the name.
Both those facts were mentioned in reviews that I read... they are not the greatest rollers and they are apparently bulletproof. I figure they gotta roll better than the 45-psi Nixon-era survivors I have on there now.

I too love the look of the Schwinn camelback frames and have way too many! Great job on all the ones you’ve worked on! They all look good!

Sweet build…. We build ‘em to ride ‘em…. That’s an awesome bike.

just curious, I’ve had my eyes peeled for an old camel back for a few years now…. Where are you finding them?

the collegiate’s are all over, but the camel backs I’ve had trouble finding.

-saw one a few years ago for $250 that needed a ton of work…. Haven’t seen one since!

Latest posts

Back