Colson Decoliner, Breathing fresh air into this stale build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Colson Decoliner

here's another option, ladies Higgins ring fits pretty well.

013.jpg

Decided to bail on the chrome drum brake wheels for this project. I sourced these tripple steps from an old Westfield, the finish is gone but they are nice and true.
sw4.jpg

talk about alot of gunk
sw5.jpg

I had some new black spokes from another build that are just the right length. how often does that happen?

I've got my colors picked out, major color will be mossy green with pinstripes in creme. I might do some gold pinstripes between the colors but I'm at a loss as to what to do with the rims color wise.

Nice! I suggest you go creamy with the rims, possibly a green pinstripe-- if it matches the frame color. That big chainguard is going to really show a lot of green, so creamy rims will help balance things out, and make your whitewalls look bigger 8)

Re: Colson Decoliner, Wheel progress! 7/16

spent some time with the grinder wheel, not really a grinder though, I have a wheel that has like tiny abrasive fingers on it. works slick for stripping off the rust.

see for yourself, this took under an hour.

Before:
sw4.jpg

xd3.jpg

xd1.jpg

xd5.jpg

xd6.jpg

remember the gunky hub?
xd2.jpg

Rims look good, and hub even better! You're gonna use black spokes, right? Might look good if you just clearcoat the rims, with the black spokes, and the creamy tires. Option might be to go all black on the wheels? Keep up the good work-- it's paying off 8)

What if you did a more minty, paler green on the rims and used your dark mossy green for the stripe color there? That might be kind of cool. The light green would look nice against the cream felt tires and would compliment the mossy green nicely too. You could even put a scallop of the minty green on the frame somewhere to balance it out?

What may help you out, too, is a quick look at some Model A Fords on google image. A lot of those color schemes would be about the right period for this bike, and they really have that vintage feel. Someone up at Ford was a genius with colors at that time. The combinations they picked just worked, so naturally... I guess this is close to what I'm thinking color wise:

25i530i.jpg

well, all good ideas, I think I'll shoot a color sample today if possible.

I may actually go with Capn's idea and use creme on the rims. it will match the tires but that will make the wheels look even fatter!

:mrgreen: Oh yeah, the fatter the better!
Unchained got some good ideas there, especially checking out the old car color combos-- all cool vintage stuffs. Never see a new Camaro painted up like that Model A :roll: :D
Looking forward to seeing those big fat bricks :wink:

Scored a better matching paint at Lowes, the can on the ritht is the old color.
007.jpg

Late night priming of the hoops, just me, some moths and every mosquito in a 5 mile radius
006.jpg

Cut up a peaked fender for the project, starting to get my head around how this will function with th dropstand.
002.jpg

003.jpg

Bought some cut off wheels for my dremel tonitht too, probably wont start on the rear fender bit till tomorrow.

Re: Colson Decoliner, Priming the hoops + fender work 7/17

Got a little more work done on the rear fender bit. the dremel kit I bought worked slick
zx2.jpg

Used a 3M bristle wheel to strip the paint, these things are great
zx3.jpg

this took under 5 min
zx4.jpg

I went to put some color on the hoops and the can was a dud, bummer because Lowes is 20min drive :x . It was kind of humid tonight so maybe it was a blessing in disquise...

Re: Colson Decoliner, More fender progress 7/18

The hoops are painted up and the color looks like a good match to the (dirty) tires. Now where did I put my white wall cleaner?

Hopefully doing some wheel lacing tonight and if the camera cooperates there will be evidence.

Re: Colson Decoliner, Paint is dry, lacing tonight?

Changed up this bike a little with some chrome parts. Not what I was shooting for originally but I'm liking it. Might leave the skirt wires or remove them and fill the holes with some JB weld. I'm leaning toward just a simple flat black paintjob on any non chrome bits and putting a done stamp on it.

carrotsnax said:
Nice work on the frame! I like how you extended the lower top tube back to the fender area. Thumbs up mate!

that line is going to get a lot longer as soon as I have some time to weld it up. I thought about just cutting it off at one point.

I don't think I ever saw this build, but I dug up this buried treasure now that @idiotboy has started a new build with the frame.

Latest posts

Back