Columbia Metro

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Columbia metro single speed conversion.

started yesterday, finished today.

Replaced the rear hub (coaster), sprocket, seat, tire, tubes, chain, pedals, front & rear reflectors. All sourced from the piles of parts from other bikes. The original rear wheel reflector is in (after the photos). There were no cable stops on the frame to remove. All the cables were held on with plastic band clips. That would put it in the late 1980s when mountain bikes were built like cruisers. Note the long chain stays and wheel base.

Touched up the paint to cover all the faded areas and seal the scratches and chips. And added a clear coat.

Ride is fair. The newer 1.5 tires don't seat well on the old school hook rims so you get some lumps at higher speeds. I wanted big fat tires on it but the 1.5 pretty much fills the space on the fork.

Still needs a kickstand and I might add some newsboy baskets.

Will probably go to a charity.

Before.

Sitting out all last winter growing patina with a heard.

After

Last edited:
I am freaking out at how much the frame and fork looks like my Centurion Accordo.
5C04662F-34C2-40B1-B273-3EB360BEE94D.jpeg

The Centurion is Cro-Mo, but look at the construction.

Except for the rear drop outs, and the height of the frame, they look very similar to me. (The centurion is a very tall frame.)

The neck lugging looks very similar, the way the rear stays are shaped & connected at the seat post is similar. The lugs at the top of the fork seem the same too. Even the BB as far as I can see, except for the type of bearing set used.

It’s not that those frames have anything in common historically. It’s just a very classic design and they both seem to have used it.

Latest posts

Back