Convert Kick Back To Skip Tooth?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sunny Florida Starting October 1, 2016!!!
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
A buddy of mine asked me if it is possible to change the 1/2" factory sprocket on a Bendix Automatic kick back hub to a skip tooth sprocket. I told him about the old "chop off every other tooth" remedy and we got a big chuckle out of that - not that it doesn't work, he's just not into it. He has a Bendix single speed w/ a skip tooth sprocket on it but I didn't know if they were interchangeable. Anybody know the answer to this? Are any other manufacturerers sprockets compatible with Bendix? I'm sure someone has either thought about or tried this change. I appreciate any help we can get with this one. Thanks alot.

nope, bendix kickbacks are a different animal than the single speed hubs. if you want a skiptooth kickback, youll have to do the tooth grinding trick.

If its metal it can be changed. The trick is to have a friend that is a machinist. Mill out the center of a skiptooth sprocket and the outside of a bendix and weld them back together. Not a big trick for a stepper. :wink:

i think he means to take a skiptooth cog and replace the regular cog on the 2 speed hub, but the 2 speed cog is the same part as the drive gear... not a simple snap ring like most hubs. if he doesnt like the tooth grinding idea, he probably wont like removing the cog entirely either :lol:

udallcustoms pic
2u92845.jpg

Uncle Stretch said:
If its metal it can be changed. The trick is to have a friend that is a machinist. Mill out the center of a skiptooth sprocket and the outside of a bendix and weld them back together. Not a big trick for a stepper. :wink:

You got it Uncle. I took a 2-speed drive screw with 1/2" pitch cog, and a skip tooth cog from a New Departure hub to the machine shop where I worked one day. (I'm retired now and really miss that place) I removed the cog from the kickback drive screw (it's just pressed on) and removed the ND cog from the driver. (it just unscrews) I put the skip tooth cog on an engine lathe and turned the inside to match the dia. of the kickback drive screw. Pressed it on and then brazed it to make sure it didn't slip. It was pretty easy. (Does this make me a *stepper*? :wink:) Here's a pic of the finished product, mounted on my '41 DX. Gary
IMG_1208-1.jpg

Yep! a bonified Stepper. I guess you really have to be an older person to have ever heard the term Stepper anyway. It really didnt seem like that big of a deal , and you made it sound even easier.

Uncle Stretch said:
Yep! a bonified Stepper. I guess you really have to be an older person to have ever heard the term Stepper anyway. It really didnt seem like that big of a deal , and you made it sound even easier.
WooHoo I am not old ( Unless you ask my kids) :mrgreen: What the heck does stepper mean :?:

Aw it was an old saying back in the day. All the old guys use to say "thats no trick for a stepper" Just meaning it was easy if you knew what you were doing.

Well, i'm glad I found this thread.

I have a Bentix 2 speed and I want to have it converted to run a skip tooth. Is there anyone willing to do this for me? Cost? I can get all the parts needed.

Latest posts

Back