Cooked goose

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Tonight I'm gonna have myself a real good time
I feel alive
And the world I'll turn it inside out, yeah
I'm floating around in ecstasy
So, (don't stop me now)
(Don't stop me)
'Cause I'm having a good time, having a good time

So here we are again, RRBBO 16! We've had almost 8 months to recover, recharge, save up a few bucks for more bike parts, try to get a game plan going for our next builds. And here I am. I've gathered a bunch of parts together and the best frame I decided to build on is an alloy Taiwanese Mongoose. Oh well, such is life. At least it should end up being pretty light.
IMG_20210512_173610227.jpg

Had some time to throw some ideas and parts at it tonight. Not really liking this direction, but some pre war wheels on a fairly modern bike is pretty appealing
IMG_20210512_181239309.jpg
IMG_20210512_181244576.jpg

Huh, never seen a 'goose like that. I like the starting point. Bring it!
I had it shipped from Kentucky a few years ago. It had a Nexus 7 speed hub and double wall alloy wheels that I used on another project. Been debating on building or scrapping it since then. It's finally time to shine (rust)

I'm liking that fork.

I don't know why I am liking it.

Maybe if the way the shiny bits insert into the more beat up lowers with that hooped top.

It'sa
Lol I could use the chrome fork and handlebars in the before picture for my entry. Not that the fork would fit or anything, but it would look cool!
It's a 1 1/8” threadless fork for a 26" wheel. If you want it, I can pack it up for the price of shipping. I have no use for it, it'll probably get thrown away otherwise

My Mongoose Zuma looked very similar. Great bike.
I normally don't like aluminum frames because the ride is terrible but this one is really nice. Hence why it's the only alloy frame I own

I think if they called it Zima it would be more interesting :bigsmile:

View attachment 157311

Can't wait to see your spin on this one. Your build from last year is in my saved ideas folder. :thumbsup:
I honestly wanted to call it Zuul, but can't figure out a way to work the name into my theme

It'sa

It's a 1 1/8” threadless fork for a 26" wheel. If you want it, I can pack it up for the price of shipping. I have no use for it, it'll probably get thrown away otherwise
Is that Hastings you are from in the UK? If it's Hastings, Ontario, it'd be worth the shipping, but otherwise, not so much. Shipping anything to Canada is killer right now.

Is that Hastings you are from in the UK? If it's Hastings, Ontario, it'd be worth the shipping, but otherwise, not so much. Shipping anything to Canada is killer right now.
Hastings, Michigan, USA. I could get a quote and let you know the damage, go from there. The fork only has minor scratches. Not sure if it's setup for V Stop or cantilever brakes

You can check the price, but I'm going to guess it ain't gonna be cheap. I have a NY shipping box just across the border, but I can't get there! So frustrating

Well, my build just went from frozen turkey to fiery phoenix in a hurry. I was helping my buddy load up a bunch of scrap last night when I came across a riding lawnmower front axle his grandpa ran over with a tractor. Something about it caught my eye, so I grabbed it and a vision flashed in my head. I totally forgot to take pics of the before and most of the during, but I measured the thickness of the axle and it was 1.5 inches, the same as my bikes head tube, but it was about 3/4” shorter than the tube, and after I knocked the bronze bushings from the steer tube I found that 1" bearing cups could fit with a little coercion PERFECT! The plan is to create a bolt on head tube rake and a slight extension. I found a similar axle pic on the internet, so I drew on it where I cut it out
Polish_20210513_213826873.jpg
IMG_20210513_203539719.jpg

To be completely honest, I did reinforce a few welds on it, but nothing that wasn't already there. Next, I used a carbide grinding bit to open up the mouth so that 1" bearing cups would fit
IMG_20210513_203610889.jpg

Test fit. Got some trimming to do.
IMG_20201216_073821018_HDR.jpg
IMG_20201216_074410888_HDR.jpg

And voila! Still got lots of fitting and testing to do, but it's looking pretty darn good!
IMG_20201216_075202402.jpg
IMG_20201216_075155254_HDR.jpg

Now I've got to find a new fork to put on it. The ones I've been using are 1 1/8” steerer tube, now it's a 1" tube.

Attachments

• IMG_20210513_203544451.jpg
    IMG_20210513_203544451.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20201216_073828286_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201216_073828286_HDR.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 52

Latest posts

Back