Crank repair?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am restoring an '86 Diamond Back Viper that I picked up off CL because it is identical to the first bike I bought with my own money. Someone landed hard and bent the crank. My question is can I put it in a press and straighten it back out? I don't plan on hitting the skate park, but I may find myself taking it off some sweet jumps. Should I just spend a lot of time (and perhaps money) tracking down a correct replacement?

Here is what I am dealing with.
406821_10151507023370278_730893276_n.jpg

well is it stamped 'Cromo' on the side? if so i have same crank, i have afew 1pc old bmx cranks.. i also have a nice Tigow 80s crank.
If your gonna want to ride it you will probably want a replacement.. its just a good idea when they are that bad. like stated previously it has had alot of stress as is.. and may have not been that great of a crank to begin with..

you could always replace and upgrade to some new Redline Flight cranks, they arent too bad in price and look great..
people had them in the 80s as early as 74' i believe real rare then but these you can buy now are like the 90's ones still look very cool retro 8)
redline-flight-cranks.jpg

i would totally reccomend these for a Rider restoration.. best cranks for the money :)

but that crank you have there is worth scrap, best cut it up and make something else outta it..

Personally, I would trust a trash-day find dime store mtb crank more than what you have there. However, if you're planning vertical drops, a 3-piece bmx conversion of some sort is probably best.

Latest posts

Back