Custom Diamondback "JOKER" ~~DONE, FINISHED, CONCLUDED!~~

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:banana:Yeah, that's the one.
why don't you name it something Australian, like Bloomin Onion
;)

This sounds like a cool build Luke and reminds me of this pair of Schwinns I did up back in the 90s.
Love them! I bet they were a bit low geared and low to the ground though?

Call it "The jokes on you". LTJ builds a bike that looks "factory" to the untrained eye, but the joke is on them!
Love the idea of this, might just use it!

Luke.

:banana:Yeah, that's the one.
why don't you name it something Australian, like Bloomin Onion
;)
Maybe: "That's not a knife!"

New mock up for you King:

14097992824_19b0713d39_o.jpg

I will have to decide when I get to that point whether to add the extra bar and plate in, I can't decide between them at the moment...

Luke.

I think that, instead of focusing on the 20" wheels or the bmx origins when you pick a name for this one, you oughta go for something more meta or abstract instead. I mean, the wheels and style of the bike will be obvious almost immediately, so why not think more along the lines of an actual name (like "Kevin MacDougal") or some sort of subjective quality (pick an appropriate adjective.)

This is going to be a contender for sure!
Thanks Tvc15, not aiming for it to be a contender, just want to build a really nice bike, if it does well than that is a great bonus!
Name idea...

BMXtreme
Cool idea, just one issue... B.M. is short for Bowel Movement, so is could be mistaken for Bowel Movement Extreme... Funny, but not quite the idea I had in mind! :21:

I think that, instead of focusing on the 20" wheels or the bmx origins when you pick a name for this one, you oughta go for something more meta or abstract instead. I mean, the wheels and style of the bike will be obvious almost immediately, so why not think more along the lines of an actual name (like "Kevin MacDougal") or some sort of subjective quality (pick an appropriate adjective.)
That is a good point 808! More thinking to do now though!

Luke.

I think name wise you should try to copy the original joker decal and name it just that. Keeps the. History of the bike and matches your screen name
Good call with the name, didn't like the original font with the new style of the bike though, so switched the font to suit the tank bike look, decision is made and the lettering is ordered! :thumbsup:

13916950820_168129a0ba_o.jpg

Luke.

Looking awesome in all mock ups but the last one on 2nd page an this one are my fav's. Great skills on the mock ups too. Do us a favor and build a garage / work shop so we are not at the mercy of your weather as we wait for your next construction step:)

Looking awesome in all mock ups but the last one on 2nd page an this one are my fav's. Great skills on the mock ups too. Do us a favor and build a garage / work shop so we are not at the mercy of your weather as we wait for your next construction step:)
Thanks XC204! Yeah, I don't like being at the mercy of the weather, but at least now I am undercover, so I at least have a chance! Hopefully tomorrow I can start on the 4.5" wheelbase extension...

I have ordered a full set of these in white:

14103904375_05e6c77b93_o.jpg

And two of these for the tank too:

13917292620_58759b852c_o.jpg

Thinking of putting one of the full DIAMONDBACK lettering ones under the down tube and a "D" on the headtube, the rest are spares. ;)

Luke.

Since I looks a little like an El Guapo. It could have been El Bromista

Well had a lazy day, it was my wife and I's 7th wedding anniversary today and she is sick at the moment, so I spent the day with her, looking after her.
The tubes and rimstrips arrived though, so I should have some pics up later tonight of the wheels and tires.

13925418279_eb0b905a1e_z.jpg

Hard to find wide enough tubes at a good price here locally and because my tires are high pressure (100p.s.i.) I decided the proper rimstrips for them might be a good idea...
The package came all the way from Ballyclare in Northern Ireland, a small town of just 8,000 people but home to the worlds largest online bikeshop... Sounds like somewhere I would like to visit!

Luke.

Tires mounted up!

Started with those awesome Odyssey rimstrips, they are super sexy, shame they are hidden away inside the rim:

13926956949_264fbf953b_z.jpg

13926988000_9f44458d83_z.jpg

Then in with the new fat tubes and on with the 20x2.4 Odyssey Chase Hawk Signature whitewalls:

13926937847_6b22d42249_z.jpg

You know you have a wide tire when even on a fat bmx rims you can see plenty of whitewall on both sides:

14113612515_3b1ae28037_z.jpg

13926949029_1178c3c0cc_z.jpg

Very happy with the wheels and tires, they look awesome and are the main inspiration for the bike!
Very solid 48 spoke doublewall Weinmann DM30 rims, 14mm axles, double ply 100psi tires, high pressure rimstrips, they suit the "Bomb proof" feel I want for the bike!

Luke.

So, looks like I caught the winter bug that is going around, and am I sick!
Sorry for the lack of progress everyone, I did get the mock-up/build board done which revealed I will have to lengthen the tank slightly when the time comes:

14117529842_930776edae_z.jpg

Also test fitted the wheels in the frame, they only just fit with those huge tires on! Looks awesome though, those tires will make this build!!!

They only barely squeeze into the forks too...

Luke.

Latest posts

Back