CWC-1 Updated 7/30/10 Build Finished!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sunny Florida Starting October 1, 2016!!!
I've been a member of RRB for about a year now and believe it or not I have not built one bike as yet. I've bought quite a few from $20 to $350 but my main interest is all things CWC. I've accumulated 8 CWC boys frames ranging from 1938 to 1955 all dated by our resident expert Phil Marshall (rms37). For this build I'm going to use this 1948 model that just happened to come with a period correct Shockmaster springer. I currently have no income so there will be some improvising but I do have a few CWC parts to start with. I'm glad to see a bunch of other CWCs in this build. I'm not much of a visionary so I'm just going to start throwing parts together and see where it goes. Looking forward to having a good time.

2291948-49CWCRoadmaster2-11-10.jpg

Excuse the Ebay pic - I cooked my motherboard so I'm also improvising a computer for awhile.

Re: CWC-1

leaving the patina i sure hope. 8)

Nice Way To Go :!:

Cant wait to see the follow up you do have plenty of part's to make it one of a kind go on and enjoy the ride :wink:

Here's my first mock up attempt. The CWC parts used are the frame, springer, chain guard, fenders and sprocket. Everything else is just stuff I had laying around. I finally got to use my cross braced handlebars. Actually I have 4 different styles of cross braced handlebars and various other bars. I don't actually collect them, but every time I see a unique pair I just have to buy them. Next up I'll head to my storage space where most of my parts are and see what else I can add. Definitely need to change the saddle and grab some fender braces to mount these. Oh yeah, some pedals would help. I really love the CWC styling not to mention the best cruising springer ever made. To be continued.

009-1.jpg

I did a little more on my mock up but I was feeling distracted by the muti-colored look so I dug up a couple cans of Wally World 99 cent paint I had laying around and sprayed everything to give it a little more continuity - flat black and grey primer. I like the flat dreary look but I know in the end it will be glossy. The old fender braces were pretty mangled so I put some new ones on and tossed them on the bike along with a different saddle, some black Hunt Wilde grips, a repop headlight and a pair of Torrington block pedals. Then I took her for a spin - yep, rides like a Caddy. When I was a kid (some 45 years ago) I bought my best friends old klunker when he received a nice brand new bike for his birthday. The klunker was bare bones functional but it was a CWC with the bumper style springer and she definitely rode like a Cadillac. The memory of that bike is what eventually brought me back into the bike hobby. Thanks to the Internet I can now find enough parts to recreate that bike - maybe a few times. This is going to be totally fun. Next up - more parts.

00a.jpg

00b.jpg

00c.jpg

00e.jpg

Re: CWC-1 Updated 5/11/10

The only CWC rack I have is for a 1950 plus frame mount whereas this 48' takes an axle mount so I snagged this blue one off a girls bike I parted out. It's styled like a Schwinn but it's not a Schwinn. Same problem with this one - the braces are frame mount so I stole a pair from a NOS Wald aftermarket carrier and they're perfect length. I was really surprised how long it is. I didn't notice the length till after I took a picture - I normally center the tires in the picture frame but part of the rack got cut off. After it was on awhile I decided I like it sticking out beyond the fender - gives it a streamlined look. Can't stand the racks that are shorter than the rear fender. I changed the saddle to a black Persons which I'm not really crazy about but it's the only black saddle I have and threw in a Lucky Seven to set it back some. Still just winging it but I like the look.

00f.jpg

00h.jpg

00k.jpg

Re: CWC-1 Updated 5/11/10

Thats really nice it looks like its moving.

Re: CWC-1 Updated 5/12/10

I started pickin at some loose paint on that rack and I thought I saw chrome underneath so I went ahead and picked it clean except for the mounting bracket. It's got some scratches in the chrome but it's not bad so I'm going to go with the chrome. I put some Fat Franks on her and that really beefed up the look not to mention she rides much better too. If you leave them at around 35 psi they are so fat they absorb everything including the pot holes on my street. Crank them up to 60 psi at max rating they stiffen up quite a bit but are very free rolling - multiple choice. I changed the seat post to a different angle Luck Seven plus I had already cleaned this one up. That rack sticking out past the rear fender got me to thinking that there is a whole lotta room under there so I busted out my Delta Twin, which I assume was originally made for a boat, reshaped the bracket and mocked it up with some rubber bands. I'm not a big fan of the white plastic look so when I paint the bike I'll do them too. Even upside down I think they will make an awesome tail light at night. To be continued.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Looking good Robert......love how the long rack extends past the back :mrgreen:

Those Fat Franks are just exactly what this build needed to fill out that frame! Nice - looking forward to the finished product!

bighit said:
what size are the tires? not that i am switching. for the first time i dont have rubbing issues.
All 26" Fat Franks are 2.35 wide. I did have one minor adjustment to make them work. They fit the frame and the fenders fine but where the chain, chain guard and fender cross each other the fender was notched in towards the wheel to make room for the chain to pass through. I tried adjusting it back and forth but there wasn't enough room to clear both so I took my Dremel with a metal cutting attachment and removed the notch completely. It's below the top of the chain guard when you look at the profile - you have to look down inside to see that it's even been removed. But that's what customizing is all about and the tires are definitely worth it. Thanks for the interest. Robert

Re: CWC-1 Updated 5/13/10

Not many changes today - I permanently installed the Delta Twin in the rack and I didn't like the kickstand I had on it. For one thing in the down position it supported the bike OK but it was layed over quite a bit - I prefer mine in a more upright position. I installed a 3 bend kickstand on it - I always wondered what the deal was with the extra bends and found out when I had the bike upside down. The contours of the kickstand match the contours of the frame from where it's mounted, then flaring out and finally straight again along the chain stay - too cool! I never want to use a straight one again. Moving on.

3.jpg

4.jpg

Re: CWC-1 Updated 5/14/10

I bought these handlebars off a guy on Ebay. He had two of these custom made but he ended up cutting his down in length which leaves these as a one of a kind. I'm a big fan of cross braced handlebars but I really like the looks of these on this bike. I also picked up a couple pair of these grips cheap but this was definitely one of those "get what you pay for" situations. They are not stiff like the originals or good repops. They are so thin and flexible you can easily see the outline of the handlebar ends - yuk. Definitely going to change these quickly. I do believe the handlebars are a keeper. The more I see them on the bike the more I like them. They seem kind of graceful and classy. And they are so long I can ride in a completely upright position which almost feels wierd but also like a natural scruising position. What do you guys think of them?

5.jpg

6.jpg

Re: CWC-1 Updated 5/14/10

SWEEEET!!! Love the bars! Bike looks great Robert :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back