BO15 Cyrus the Virus

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The leaf work is done. I was going to use a combo of spun gold and the variegated that you see here, but I like the colors in the variegated. It does have a tendency to lose a little of the color when cleared though. I think the gold is starting to win me over, but I did do two test strips on an empty thinner can. I'll paint one with the candy green today and make my decision.

View attachment 134942View attachment 134943View attachment 134944
That's perfect. It toned it down just a little. That is really going to work for getting the attention you wanted at shows. Those are by far and away the most beautiful fenders I have ever seen and we have a concourse car club here that meets by the lake. Well we meet in secret now and laugh about masks or whatever

Last edited:
I like the marbling look of the variegated.

After spraying a test strip of the gold, I'm going green candy over it. It's just too overpowering bare gold.

After redoing the center of the frame, the stained area came back almost as bad. It now has been solved with a black fade with fire, and some more gold leaf.

Pics tomorrow.

I swear I hear the clock ticking louder every minute!

I got one better, I swapped out the pedals I put on the bike for some "better ones" and one of them snapped smooth off while I was leaving the house to go get a "cool" picture of it. take all your cool kid pictures before you make your "ride video just in case is all i am sayin
IMG_20200824_160450.jpg

I cleared the parts today, did a horrible job and am pretty upset with myself. I'll see what I can do to save them tomorrow. I guess being out of practice, and working with a new product was not such a smart idea. The candy green over the gold leaf looks much better and the clear really brightened up the green base.

I was too disgusted with it to take any pics other than the stain cover up on the frame.

P8200507.jpg
P8200508.jpg

Last edited:
Today will hopefully be "Save the Paint Day"
Maybe if everyone crosses their fingers for me, things will work out.

Good luck brotha! We're confident in your ability

Today will hopefully be "Save the Paint Day".

This is how the parts look cleared.

View attachment 135314View attachment 135315View attachment 135316View attachment 135317

View attachment 135314View attachment 135315View attachment 135316View attachment 135317

Saweet paint

A little too much tint in your clear, more than you wanted or something I can't see. It doesn't look bad in the photos unless you are dissappointed with the gold getting a little too hidden

Buffing the "orange peel" out may bring it down to the hint of green you want. I can kind of see a little. I don't envy the day of wet sanding . I should finally have new glasses tomorrow. Yer gonna be okay dude. It won't be the first time that has happened. Just thank the stars it wasn't an entire Moana DeLisa mural on a 62 nova or something. On a side note, now you know why a bunch of us "builders" refuse to ship custom frames that already have color. None of us envy the paint booth guys responsibilities.
I don't know if i mentioned I candied this heavy flake myself. I know what it is like when something comes out of the oven with friggen bubbles is all I am sayin.
27459998_1803024073096138_9085003181748171754_n.jpg

i also know what it's like for the finish guy to look at me and say well you are the mister polish stuff guy. You can do it better than I can. You have plenty of time.

Last edited:
One more thing, tru fire details on round tubing, "Picasso". Nobody wants do do that. Very nice. Deep pockets are going to beg you for that at trade shows

Last edited:

Whatever the flaws are, they sure aren't showing up to my eye in the photos! I wish I had a bad paint job like that!!! :D
I am sure there is something that is obvious when you are face to face with it all, but the pics just don't show it.
GOOD LUCK MAN!

I put a few runs in the clear, and they had to be in difficult spots. It's a new clear to me, I was told it's a very difficult clear to spray. It was very hot and humid, I was afraid it wouldn't flow out and put it on way too heavy. No excuses, I screwed up, plain and simple.

I love the candy over the gold leaf, it was way too overpowering without it. This was my first time putting candy over gold leaf, it definitely won't be the last!

While I was out looking for material to cover the seat, my friend and co-worker Kyle, did his magic and sanded the runs out for me. I owe him a great big thank you! I also want to thank my other friend and the owner of the shop, Robbie for all his help, advise, and encouragement. I have learned so much from these two!!!

Tomorrow I'll wet sand the orange peel and buff the fenders, then stripe them up. If I can come up with a nice layout, I think I'll add "Cyrus the Virus: along the outer edges of them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back