DEAD SPACE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been sitting on this one for a while. I'm curious if you have ever built a Spaceliner, Kingfish? I don't recall one. That said I'm also researching paint colors over chrome. A big part of the build here will be the color. This frame is a red painted chrome frame and since the red is coming off already it's a no brainer. I'm tempted to try a red to chrome to blue fade and have a patriotic Space Force build, but no it can't be that easy...

GC.

Carl, my first full build off was a Spaceliner. Flex-Liner 7 in BO7. I did part some highlight paint with Metalcast red paint. I think it will give you the sprectraflame/anodized vibe you are looking for. You just have to make sure the base surface is either chrome, or use any metallic silver or chrome as a base for non-chrome parts.
I remember on my full chrome spaceliner frame, it had a factory clear coat on it. I bet that may be the case with your frame. I basically had to take a razor blade to my entire frame to get that clear coat off.
Strippers just don't work hard like they used to. :D

Carl, my first full build off was a Spaceliner. Flex-Liner 7 in BO7. I did part some highlight paint with Metalcast red paint. I think it will give you the sprectraflame/anodized vibe you are looking for. You just have to make sure the base surface is either chrome, or use any metallic silver or chrome as a base for non-chrome parts.
I remember on my full chrome spaceliner frame, it had a factory clear coat on it. I bet that may be the case with your frame. I basically had to take a razor blade to my entire frame to get that clear coat off.
Strippers just don't work hard like they used to. :D
Ah BO7 was before I got here... I don't peruse the archives as much as I should. I do see the builds you ride and see builds you've done in the past make appearances, hence my curiosity having not seen a Spaceliner. The thin grey coat is under the factory red. It's almost got to be a binder of some sort, as painting over chrome is tedious and not usual for the assembly line. I'll bet they used something to allow the red to go over the chrome easier. I'm leaning in to the transparent black for the frame and a graphic of sorts on the tank to bring out the space theme.

Carl

I think this tank will work out fine.
IMG_20220510_103113.jpg
IMG_20220510_103120.jpg

Should have had the odd #7 tank but no, it was missing. Fork is almost completely stripped now too. Know what a hydrographic dip is? I'll be using it on the tank for sure. Now I just need to decide if I want to do skulls or nebula... DEAD SPACE.

GC

Frame is ready for tint and I've swapped forks for the chrome one that was on Wasteland...
IMG_20220517_230707.jpg

It's just a Spaceliner frame but I guess that's class one - no frame mods, and I've seen a lot done to these, dual rear brakes looks good but nope. I've got a 3 speed drum brake hub...
IMG_20220517_230900.jpg

The wheel is junk, I need to order some spokes and get to lacing, but the hub looks like it'll polish up good. I've got a fat rim in pink that I might try the hydrographic dip on. I noticed I've built Dragster style a couple times before and it's probably my favorite look. Wasteland and Greaseslapper are go to bikes often.
IMG_20220517_230210.jpg

^^^ Wasteland has a two speed kickback hub and I've already swapped the forks, It's bare metal now just like Greaseslapper...
IMG_20220517_231126.jpg

All 3 have flipped rat traps, the Westfield and the Schwinn both have stretched bars and bent seatposts. Hmm. At least I've got the fat skinny tire combo nailed. What's next for DEAD SPACE? Plenty of time to find out...

GC.

Last edited:
"Ready for tint"....I have a feeling 'Dead' Space is about to get livened up a bit!

That rear drum brake hub is slick. RaT oN~!

Hmm, but I have an awesome splined crank from a Haro...
IMG_20220519_093500.jpg

Did I mention the pink rim?
I actually have 2.
Black frame, pink rims... Hmm...
I've also got some triple trees...

GC.

Hmm, but I have an awesome splined crank from a Haro...
View attachment 193879
Did I mention the pink rim?
I actually have 2.
Black frame, pink rims... Hmm...
I've also got some triple trees...

GC.

I wonder if you can mod the space age sprocket cover to work with the haro?

I wonder if you can mod the space age sprocket cover to work with the haro?
That's an idea. I've also been looking at a couple skip tooth sprockets. I've got a conversion cog to slip on a modern hub to change over to skip. But the huge sweetheart skip I have rubs the frame (I haven't tried a spacer yet) and I have a skip that looks a lot like the og Spaceliner sprocket, I could maybe drill some holes. If I go bigger though I need to adjust the guard because there's no way I'm not going to use that iconic chainguard. I've also got a newish ballooner rear fender that will sit over the Hank nicely, the og fender I have, has been butchered but I think I can save the fender braces (that match the guard) and it has a good reflector. It's all just waiting for me to decide... lol

Carl.

I think he should swap this one out for a Floyd Rose.
Merle.
IMG_20220524_205250.jpg

Welded up a double wall bent seatpost with a solid bar inside for a total of 3 layers. We'll see if I can bend this one!

Carl.

Thanks. @Captain Awesome
I stuck the rack on just to see. There's a little wiggle room there but the rack doesn't line up with the stays either and won't because it should sit level. That's what the post should do too. So I need to mount the rack, then match the angle. It'll all be fine... Just love doing it twice because I didn't catch it...
IMG_20220524_211500.jpg

GC.

Thanks. @Captain Awesome
I stuck the rack on just to see. There's a little wiggle room there but the rack doesn't line up with the stays either and won't because it should sit level. That's what the post should do too. So I need to mount the rack, then match the angle. It'll all be fine... Just love doing it twice because I didn't catch it...
View attachment 194601
GC.
I can appreciate that kind of attention to detail

Punch list stuff...
Cut and reweld seatpost... lol
Research how to pull the cog off this SA drum brake 3 speed.
Lace it to a different rim.
Test transparent black paint I picked up today.
Order the hydrographic film.

Plenty of time...
GC.

Tore down the Sturmey Archer AB hub and ripped it out of the crusty rim today. Fun fact: both sides of the hub flange are vastly different in diameter, but the spokes are the same length since they are laced differently. Cleaned up pretty nicely too.
IMG_20220526_194052.jpg

I understand the Great Britain and the Swiss patents but what's EIRE?
IMG_20220526_194111.jpg

See the 50 stamped on the AB? Pretty sure it's the year. It's an older hub for sure, still had some good grease in it too. But that cog isn't coming off with just a snap ring so my dreams of a conversion cog to skiptooth isn't happening. Saves me from having to locate a good skiptooth chain...
IMG_20220526_194150.jpg

No snap ring but the whole end comes off when ya thread that square nut off ^^^ makes unlacing and lacing a hassle. Now it looks like the cog screws on to the cap but I'm not gonna try and take it off just yet. It's the only one I've got, can't afford to bark it all up. So far all the yooba toobas I've seen are the more modern hub with the snap ring holding the cog. All the internals seem to be the same though and that's cool. Supposed to be just an AW hub with the added brake. Skinny junk spokes too, that old rim is trash.
IMG_20220526_194216.jpg

This pink rim is nice and just a bit fatter. The Hank oughta look good on it. Gotta go order some spokes.

GC.

Last edited:
Thanks @MattiThundrrr
I've had it mostly apart. The square nut is the cone. There's a washer thingy and a big spring behind it. Sheldon Brown has a great archive still maintained about all things cycling and there's links to Sutherland's hub info from there with pdf manuals on many of them. The AB hub is very much an AW with an added brake. A little newer and the gear comes off easily. But since it doesn't have the three notches to line up with the conversion cog, there's no reason other than lacing, to remove it and I can take the whole end off as it is.

GC.

Latest posts

Back