Dean Dean's Mountain Machine - Finished

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rear tread ordered is listed as a 2.3, but it's a wide 2.3 so a 2.2 rear tire was ordered last night after discovering that fact. I'll probably cable up the brakes and add the chain guide today and then the tire will be the last item. Guessing it'll be sub-25lbs when done, maybe closer to 20.

That is one clean looking bike. The parts are coming together well.

It's been done for a few days now, however the weather has been uncooperative for shooting proper photos of the completed bike. I had one last mod to do to the drive side crank After getting it cabled and adjusted up. The little tab in the crankarm that prevents the chain from being sucked unmercifully into the BB spindle was clipping the chain keeper on rotation. The Dremel cured that in a minute. When I post up the finished bike, I'll add the spec and weight.

You've inspired me. I've never tried to build a lightweight bike, but soon I will.
Riding the recent permeation of "flow" trails on a lightweight rigid MTB with solid parts where it counts inspired this build. I've had the strawva on a few times during outings in the past few years, have regularly attained speeds of over 35mph, and have busted 40mph a few times that I know of.

Uncooperative weather just popped right up as I was about to pedal over to the park for some proper build pics. We've had more rain on the Front Range than Portland and Seattle combined in the past month or so. I'm digging it though, as knowing what trails will be perfect every day has made for some fantastic riding this Spring. I'll get a few pics as soon as the weather changes, which is usually in a ten minute span here in CO.

Here it is anywho, finished and ready for Dean to throw a leg over it. I was a bit off in my weight estimate because it weighed out right at 25lbs. Sometimes I forget what a 9 speed gear cluster weighs...

20210601_140310.jpg

Great looking rebirth of cool

20210601_161458.jpg

20210601_161518.jpg

20210601_161552.jpg

The flash shows about an hour's worth of Pine Pollen that collected on it before the pics were snapped. The wind was pretty fierce preceding the thunderstorm that hit right afterwards.

Supposed to ride with Dean later this week and will get a snap or two of him riding it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back