Defiance - Aannnnnd it's done!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like the cars of the day, these bikes had leaded joints to smooth things out. Unfortunately, the previous owner hacked them up pretty bad when they did the ugly repaint. The dummy current owner came along and messed them up even more with his big wire brush before remembering that the lead was there. Leadwork is considered a lost art form that I don't plan on learning so I just cleaned them up as best as I could.
IMG_0276_zpsca848fa1.jpg

IMG_0275_zps3229a615.jpg

Another tool shot. These Nashbar headset presses go on sale from time to time and if you have a coupon code they're even cheaper. While not really necessary on a Schwinn steel headset (You can hit the cups with a hammer all day long and not hurt them) I decided to use it for the photo.
IMG_0279_zps0d4585bb.jpg

Remember I mentioned that the springer was made up of a bunch of mismatched parts? The bolt is longer than the original one. They must have offered a heavier spring for these that had a couple more coils in it and that's where this came from. The spring is new and from some unknown origin and I'm not really sure where the yoke came from. The red thing is an experiment I wanted to try for some time now. It's an elastomer from a skateboard truck. The long bolt gave me an excuse to try it. Not sure how it's gong to work out but the setup is pretty stiff and looks neat so we'll see how it goes... :rolleyes:

IMG_0280_zpsda88d6b0.jpg

The SR stem is from an old Schwinn Predator and was originally set aside for my BO#8 bike but wouldn't work with the bars I had. To give it a snug fit in the steerer tube, I made a brass shim from a small leftover section of pipe I saved when I replaced my kitchen sink trap. I knew I'd find a use for that someday.

Didn't get much done today. Spent most of it looking at other people's cool stuff... :cool2:

showdown_zpsf5eda5d3.jpg

I did throw these beefy S&M cruiser bars on the bike. I'm not 100% sure if they are staying or not. I'll have to try them and see how they feel. Was thinking of doing these in bare metal but the paint is still nice and seems to be some super tough powder coat that will give me fits if I try to strip them...

IMG_0281_zps45be9550.jpg

Put the wheels on and it kind of resembles a bike again. The gold tint on the top tubes must be a reflection from somewhere...

IMG_0282_zps4ed35584.jpg

Cool, like the rim/tyre Combe against the frame finish, I'd be stripping the bars back to suit though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree that the bars should be bare metal. I have had my eye on a set of uber-kool Mr. Tick bars for a long time and may have to bite the bullet and get them for this bike. The S&M's will have to stay black until I make up my mind there...

I think I recall seeing same early Schwinn springers had a small rebound spring in place of the black rubber bushing- might be where your bolt is from. Always meant to get an old valve spring from a lawnmower or something and replace it on mine to take the sudden stop out of the up stroke.

I know Shelbys had a little spring inside of the main one on their knee-action forks. I saw a restored Whizzer over the weekend on a Schwinn frame and it definitely had a longer spring on the fork.

I had off work today and the weather was nice so I got a little more done on it...

First up was to overhaul and install these old school KKT Lightnings. I traded a friend a set of tires for them.

IMG_0283_zpsea96042a.jpg

A couple front end details including the cable clamps, clear fork bumpers, and my "grade 8" pivot bolt conversion.

IMG_0291_zps3b96418b.jpg

Out of the four cartridge bottom brackets I bought, I found one that worked perfectly after installing a spacer (A Sturmey-Archer AW hub washer) on the drive side.

IMG_0292_zps4092841b.jpg

Your PSA of the day courtesy of an aviation placard I had...

IMG_0295_zps0c5d75a3.jpg

And she's just about ready for a test ride! :) :) :) :)

IMG_0290_zpsae17f040.jpg

While I like the S&M handlebars, I'm still thinking about trying some others.
IMG_0296_zps964033bc.jpg

I have these nifty bars with a fat rectangle crossbar. I was thinking about stripping these and putting a RRB.com sticker on the crossbar. I then remembered that Outskirtscustoms has a set of nifty bare metal handlebars with a fat rectangle crossbar with a RRB.com sticker it. Since I'm already copying most of his build, I decided against that... Don't want to wake up in the morning to find that he and kingfish toilet-papered my house for swiping their ideas...;)

Latest posts

Back