Help Support Rat Rod Bikes:

Captain Awesome

Lord of Irrelevance
Staff member
Aug 9, 2012
Sunny SC coast
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well, we gave it a shot with the new crew and opened the controls to be able to go in and delete content and it already backfired slightly. (We'll call it a hiccup) We had a whole bunch of threads and posts and all of the content contained within get deleted across various forums. Not sure what occurred and don't want to speculate. Luckily nothing is lost in the servers and we have started adding some of them back in already. Due to this the controls are going to get tweaked slightly

1. Regular members will have the ability to delete a post and not a thread. The time frame for editing or post deleting is 1 month.
2. Same for premium members but their editing / deleting time is 2 months.

If there are any special cases please contact the staff and request a special status for a short period so something can be updated on your end. Or you can always report your own post and leave a note for what you are looking for. We realize that in some cases such as classifieds this causes chaos as items sell and you'd like to update those posts down the road. We'll do all we can to keep things humming along

Duplicate thread? Reach out or report it

Older stuff you want deleted? Reach out or report it

You need threads moved or even archived? Reach out or report it

Need a thread locked or title change? Hit us up

Any questions, feel free to message any one the staff and we'll do our best

Peace!

Last edited:
Reactions: RustyGold

kingfish254

CHECK OUT MY SALE THREAD FOR COOL STUFF!
Pro Member
Aug 31, 2009
Historic Savannah
www.ratrodbikes.com
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
So we can't even edit thread titles after 1 month? Just verifying because some of us edit our Build threads as we update with new posts.

kingfish254

Pro Member
Aug 31, 2009
Historic Savannah
www.ratrodbikes.com
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
Also, many people change or decide on a build name well after a month of the start of the Build Off.

Dec 11, 2011
Central Ohio
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
..... this place is frustrating! I wish I would have seen this thread an hour ago before I wasted a bunch of time trying to figure out how to update my build-off title! We've always had the ability to do that, and I did it once already and just thought I forgot how to do it. I didn't know the ability was gone. I wonder how many other people are fiddling around with their phone or computer in frustration because they can't figure out how to do something they did a week ago? Kinda takes the fun out of the whole thing when you think you're struggling with the technology, only to find out it's not your fault. So now a bunch of people's builds are just stuck with one stage of the build as the thread title until the end? We can't even delete that?

RustyGold

Staff member
Pro Member
Jul 2, 2015
Mid-Willamette Valley, Oregon
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Cap had this info up a little more than a half hour after we got the word...we certainly didn't want to cause any frustration.

The deal is, Angie wasn't too keen on the level of delete/editing power we had on the forums due to its abuse on other forums. We convinced her there was reasons for this power and everything would be A-OK! Then, a member did exactly what Angie was worried about and started deleting threads. So this happened.

I can't speak for Angie or Cap...but, if anyone is past that one/two month limit and wants a title change to a thread...pm me or report it and I'll make it happen. I believe that is what was inferred by the conditional statements at the end of Cap's post.

@Angie @Captain Awesome

Dec 11, 2011
Central Ohio
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It’s no big deal I guess, but nobody is going to see it here buried at the bottom of the list of forums. I only saw it because I came to this part of the forum to ask what I was doing wrong or for someone to remind me how to change a thread title. I’m sure other people that do the same thing are going to be scratching their heads too until they figure it out the way I did, if they get that far. It needs to be a sticky in the build off section, or an email sent to forum members or something. A lot of people update their build off threads on the title when they post something new or when they are finished. I assume this will cause problems in the for sale threads as well when someone wants to mark something sold or change a sale price. I don’t want to have to contact a moderator every time I want to make an edit.

RustyGold

Staff member
Pro Member
Jul 2, 2015
Mid-Willamette Valley, Oregon
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
It’s no big deal I guess, but nobody is going to see it here buried at the bottom of the list of forums. I only saw it because I came to this part of the forum to ask what I was doing wrong or for someone to remind me how to change a thread title. I’m sure other people that do the same thing are going to be scratching their heads too until they figure it out the way I did, if they get that far. It needs to be a sticky in the build off section, or an email sent to forum members or something.
Done ... made sticky in the BO16 discussion thread.
I don’t want to have to contact a moderator every time I want to make an edit.
Understandable, and I agree. However, this is how the hand played out...it's unfortunate.

Reactions: Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Lord of Irrelevance
Staff member
Aug 9, 2012
Sunny SC coast
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Working on some things behind the scenes to see if it allows permissions to be set by separate sub forum and so forth. It's possible that there may be a lever to throw that would allow title changes and also sale/wanted updates only, but Angie needs to investigate

We'll see where it goes

Reactions: RustyGold

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Site Owner
May 10, 2021
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
..... this place is frustrating! I wish I would have seen this thread an hour ago before I wasted a bunch of time trying to figure out how to update my build-off title! We've always had the ability to do that, and I did it once already and just thought I forgot how to do it. I didn't know the ability was gone. I wonder how many other people are fiddling around with their phone or computer in frustration because they can't figure out how to do something they did a week ago? Kinda takes the fun out of the whole thing when you think you're struggling with the technology, only to find out it's not your fault. So now a bunch of people's builds are just stuck with one stage of the build as the thread title until the end? We can't even delete that?
Is the the build for this year? I set special permissions for those build threads.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Site Owner
May 10, 2021
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we can't even edit thread titles after 1 month? Just verifying because some of us edit our Build threads as we update with new posts.
I am changing the permissions on the builds forum to go for 6 months to cover the whole build. I can see where the general time would put a kink in your build progress.

Jul 10, 2015
Berlin
www.graedel.de
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cap had this info up a little more than a half hour after we got the word...we certainly didn't want to cause any frustration.

The deal is, Angie wasn't too keen on the level of delete/editing power we had on the forums due to its abuse on other forums. We convinced her there was reasons for this power and everything would be A-OK! Then, a member did exactly what Angie was worried about and started deleting threads. So this happened.

I can't speak for Angie or Cap...but, if anyone is past that one/two month limit and wants a title change to a thread...pm me or report it and I'll make it happen. I believe that is what was inferred by the conditional statements at the end of Cap's post.

@Angie @Captain Awesome
I can totally see the reasons behind this step and I'm glad that you are open to fine tuning it.

I would suggest that you keep the delete option to mods only but open up the editing (own) posts and threads to the previous level.
But if you leave it as restricted as it sits now and still give us the possibility to adress a mod if we want to change/update an older post/thread I'm fine with that too. Especially if it helps to keep this forum afloat and alive and stops people from wrecking it by randomly deleting threads and posts that might be of help and/or importance to other members.

Captain Awesome

Lord of Irrelevance
Staff member
Aug 9, 2012
Sunny SC coast
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I can totally see the reasons behind this step and I'm glad that you are open to fine tuning it.

I would suggest that you keep the delete option to mods only but open up the editing (own) posts and threads to the previous level.
But if you leave it as restricted as it sits now and still give us the possibility to adress a mod if we want to change/update an older post/thread I'm fine with that too. Especially if it helps to keep this forum afloat and alive and stops people from wrecking it by randomly deleting threads and posts that might be of help and/or importance to other members.
Thank you for seeing it that way. In the end we need a solution that works for both sides of the equation

Reactions: SwissGuy and Angie
Jul 10, 2015
Berlin
www.graedel.de
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for seeing it that way. In the end we need a solution that works for both sides of the equation
That's absolutly right and if we keep the discussion open, we will come to an agreement.

I think the step to open the editing time limit especially for the build off is a step in the right direction. It gives us back the fun on updating the thread titles according to the progress and twists and turns of the builds. :dance2:

kingfish254

Pro Member
Aug 31, 2009
Historic Savannah
www.ratrodbikes.com
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
I am changing the permissions on the builds forum to go for 6 months to cover the whole build. I can see where the general time would put a kink in your build progress.
Thanks @Angie . We appreciate that. The more we've talked about it, the more use cases I can think of where many of us have relied on editing Build Off threads to enhance the Build Off. The Build Off is always the busiest season on RRB, so the recent change was magnified. Thanks again for fixing it back for us.

Also thanks to @Captain Awesome and @RustyGold for jumping in as mods! You got this guys! Thanks for the hard work!

Latest posts