Diamondback street rod now JOSCAT'S CAFFEINACHRONISM RACER

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Diamondback street rod

OK. so I don't like these cranks (
ratrods027-1.jpg
)
and I recently found these Raleigh brand cranks and bits on a trash exercycle. super classy peds and the cranks are (I think) 165 instead of 170 so still long enough but with better ground clearance:
trademe004.jpg

and it has a really nice wide- shell cotter pin BB spindle that will fit my frame shell with room to spare on the cup thread! yay!
trademe002.jpg

hmm.. my frame is starting to rust a little despite my clearcoat.. .... winter monsoons.. I'm not so sure I like the look of rust after all..
Will the nice cranks fit though? let's see:
trademe006.jpg

Oh no! :shock:(shock, horror) the LH crank doesn't quite clear and the sprocket hits too!
trademe009.jpg

not even a chance to fit the cotter pin in the RH crank!
WHAT WILL I DO????
I got the cranks for free... they were headed for the scrap heap... I may as well get really ratty and BEND IT TILL IT FITS MWAHAHAHAA!
Here is the techniwockle Bending Device I used on the 3- spoke chainring
trademe010.jpg

I flipped the thing round on the spindle to brace it and tweaked and tweaked the spokes mercilessly to get the chainring 1/4 inch further out.

this is what it looks like now. after lots of adjusting it runs reasonably wobble free, but has consderable 'bounce'. i realise i have made it slightly triangular due to contraction of the 3 'spokes'
trademe012.jpg

the crank arms:
seeing as the RH crank arm already had 4-5mm clearance, all i had to do then was bend the LH crank arm quite a bit. I was able to pre- bend the pedal end to align with the main bend using my vice-grips and the verandah railing, but the main bend needed a vice. so i did that in the vice at my work, and here's how it came out:
IMG_1968.jpg

here's how it fits
IMG_1973.jpg

I think it looks much better now with old cranks even if they are bent. I lengthened the chain and put a 20t rear sprocket on. it's now 47- 20 instead of 42-16. much lower gearing but seems ok. might swap for 18t cog if one comes along. only worry now is the chain line, not much i can do about it with these parts. no room for spacer alterations on rear hub.
IMG_1971.jpg

I'm contemplating calling her finished.. my mind is starting to wander to other bikes.. but I really should get a headlight and a speedo fitted... and maybe something more insane for the handlebars

here is some pics from a sunny winter afternoon. I have a new speedo.
IMG_2054.jpg

IMG_2060.jpg

IMG_2055.jpg

next comes front drum brake. i had a scary episode riding down hill in the wet too fast.

hey anyone got any ideas where i could fit some more leather on this thing? maybe a custom frame pad or something? I think it should look racey, simple, sort of logical to the function.

I must get onto that wheel relacing with 'front brake hub'.. I have a suntour alloy screw on rear road hub, which the drum winds onto. I will finally get around to trying the tires on the old steel rims too.

There are so many build off bike that I lost track of this one!! I love it. I'm always amazed that anyone would switch to cotter cranks. I've never had good luck with them. Perhaps do to my girth. :cry:

thatismytruck said:
There are so many build off bike that I lost track of this one!! I love it. I'm always amazed that anyone would switch to cotter cranks. I've never had good luck with them. Perhaps do to my girth. :cry:
They require a cool headed nature that some of us don't have. I've hated them since the time when I only weighed 140lbs! :x :lol:

Hello all! The bike is essentially finished, pics coming soon! I finished tuning the front brake today! new (old) rims and stuff!

IMG_2103.jpg

these are the parts i used to make the front brake . they are a screw- on drum-band brake off a rear children's 20in wheel. the hub is a rear Suntour Sprint alloy screw- on road hub. I didn't realise till i started pulling it apart it has sealed bearings- BONUS!
IMG_2105.jpg

this is my hand drawn decal I've been putting on my latest bikes. I plan to let the letters rust out on raw steel, then peel off the sticker. Fingers crossed!
IMG_2106.jpg

IMG_2107.jpg

RE-LACING THE WHEELS, ADDING THE BRAKE:
the last spoke to come off the blimmin silly looking alloy rims
IMG_2110.jpg

I had lots of contemplation on the best way to re- space the axle and fit in all that stuff- speedo drive, drum, brake housing etc. had to wait a couple days to get new solid 10mm axle.
IMG_2109.jpg

Eventually I got it together and roughly working. check out ma new brake lever oww. might strip off black paint.
IMG_2111.jpg

I put a red stripe on my spinny spoke protector
IMG_2112.jpg

i like the wheels cool touch. what color is that it is funny not as much red this year but lots of maroon or dark red things. cool build

karfer67 said:
i like the wheels cool touch. what color is that it is funny not as much red this year but lots of maroon or dark red things. cool build

I think it was "Quick- Dry" Maroon. but a nice reddy maroon, not too purple. I would have called it a dark red.

Latest posts

Back