Disc Brakes on Older Murray?

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes:

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found an "older" Murray frame for an insanely low price....I haven't seen it yet, am going to go pick it up later today. All the pictures I have seen on the 'net appear to have diagonal dropouts. All of the disc brake adapters I can find appear to be for straight dropouts....
Does anyone know of an adapter that will allow me to install disc brakes on this frame? Thanks.

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Here's a vid that goes through that. The disc hub width might be wider compared to the Murray frame, probably made for a coaster hub, but you can cold set the Murray frame for the wider hub. You have the disc wheels already? There are numerous adapters, I searched for mountain bike disc brake adapters and saw some, but I'm overseas, it might be a different result.

1652398858544.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Wildcat, thanks for the reply. Yes, I was chatting with a guy from BBS today, he told me their adapter won't work with my frame, but he sent me links to some that would. He also sent me a link to that video. The Murray was originally a six speed. The backstays(?) seem to be a little wider than I remember. I haven't measured yet, though.

No, I don't have wheels yet, and I am on a MacBook, so I have know idea how to show you a picture, but this is the ones I am going to o rder if you are curious. https://www.amazon.com/iMeshbean-Magnesium-Wheels-3-Spoke-Wheelset/dp/B079L55TPN.

51Ul30bsZmL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
When you said "Older Murray frame" I envisioned one of the classic cantilever frames they made for years. Pointy dropouts. But a 6 speed may be a newer style frame. That would make it easier to adapt to wider hubs and disc brakes, the rear portion is already wider for the 6 speed hub.
1652427746412.png

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pretty sure that's the one they got, posted these in the other thread
tempImagerNUGza.jpg
tempImageOJNi14.jpg

It's a beauty!

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Who can keep up with all the threads? It's like answering all the happy birthday posts on FB. At least here it's worthwhile.

Latest posts