Does anyone leave their bike rack attached all the time?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just splurged at tax time and bought a hitch and a bike rack. Been wanting one a long time. Got a great deal (20.00) on this brand new in box Allen rack.

What do you think of leaving on the vehicle all the time especially now thru summer anyway? I was worried about strap deteroation. I have it attached with the anti rattle bolt so it does take tools to remove and not just pulling a pin. I personally want to leave it attached thru biking season.
f6c60850cf9b00887b58b33854ca721a.jpg

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

I do! It would take some time to remove it each time then put it back on since I ride all year, weather permitting. I do have a lock on the hitch as a deterrent. I ended up spending a lot on both the hitch and rack.
image.jpg
My other deterrent is my foot up someone's a** if I catch 'em messing with my rig!

I would not be worried about theft as much as ease of getting in to the rear hatchback/trunk/tailgate of your vehicle. Everytime you need in you will have to fiddle with the bike rack.

It folds down to access the rear hatch lid plus the rack top folds flat when not in use for a clean look and you wont round the corner and walk into it.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

I do not, what tends to happen is the hardware rusts and looks like crap and moving components become hard to move in a short time. I am sure this could be overcome with some maintenance, but factoring in the chance of theft and damage, and the pain getting to the rear doors, I take it off. Mine wont lock in full upright position with my spare tire carrier on my daily driver now as well...... Just my 2 cents, your mileage will vary :D

I used to, back when i drove a car. Pickup truck changed all that for me; i think my next move is gonna be a cargo van. I gave the bike rack away when i bought my Taco.

The bike racks inside the truck bed are nice......it's the ones I see mounted to the hitch with the whole truck bed empty confuse me!
I drive a 1972 model pickup and use a rack that fits in the receiver hitch. I wanted a rack that I could lock to the truck as well as lock the bikes to the rack. I could not find anything to haul inside the bed to do these things. Also, most of what I ride/haul are cruisers... Electra, Felt, Dyno. I can't just toss them in the back of the truck and expect to keep them looking nice.

If it isn't in your way - go for it. One suggestion though, if it mounts into a receiver hitch on the vehicle, liberally GREASE the part that slides into the hitch. They can be a real pain to remove if they rust in.

I leave mine on always. As soon I take ut off I'll find a bike in my travels. I carry a conversion top bar too for the hard to fit ladies bikes.
I keep my homemade pvc rack in my pickup all the time too.

fef9f859b151d174267d385f625c93bc.jpg

a273d2199ed7b2d3706a013db7ba0bc6.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I drive a 1972 model pickup and use a rack that fits in the receiver hitch. I wanted a rack that I could lock to the truck as well as lock the bikes to the rack. I could not find anything to haul inside the bed to do these things. Also, most of what I ride/haul are cruisers... Electra, Felt, Dyno. I can't just toss them in the back of the truck and expect to keep them looking nice.
I wouldn't even pile my mtn bikes in the back of a pick up either even with their bumps and scratches.....I would put them in the back in a stand up rack system, either temporarily or semi fixed!
Bicycle808 in post #12 has a great, inexpensive solution.

Last edited:
I wouldn't even pile my mtn bikes in the back of a pick up either even with their bumps and scratches.....I would put them in the back in a stand up rack system, either temporarily or semi fixed!
Bicycle808 in post #12 has a great, inexpensive solution.
I've got a rack I built to use when I was still mountain biking that fit in the back of a pickup. But most cruisers don't have a quick release front hub, so that's out. I do have 2 different racks that I can use in the back of the truck that holds bikes upright, but neither locks to the truck nor do the bikes lock to the rack.

Latest posts

Back