Does it ever end?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only been back into the bike scene for a short while and all of a sudden bikes are falling from the sky! Now I've got to learn to say no, but some deals are too good to pass up!
All of the following took place over the last week:

First, my buddy Ron showed me an abandoned chopper project that another buddy gave him. Ron doesn't have time to finish it, so he's offered it to me (for free!) if I want to take it on.
Here it is mocked up...
DSC06832.jpg

DSC06834.jpg

DSC06838.jpg

It's all custom made and is only missing the cranks, pedals, chains, forks, front wheel, handle bars, etc...

Then I picked up this 24" Schwinn Breeze Saturday at a garage sale, it's all original but a little too banged up for an 'easy' restoration (it looks better in the pics).
DSC06861.jpg

DSC06862.jpg

Interesting thing about this 'inspection' sticker, I got 2 or 3 other bikes I picked up recently that all have the same year sticker (I think it may have been the last year for them). It was 'built in December '65.

Then I bought this one for the nephew at 'Jimmie's Clearance Sale' also on Saturday (see other thread).
I know it's a 'late model' but it's already got the 'rat rod' look and the price was right.
The nephew has already given me orders to strip the decals (and probably the paint) and 'go crazy' pinstriping it in grey, white and whatever other color I come up with. I may add a springer or chopper front and do a little stretch in the rear.

DSC06855.jpg

DSC06856.jpg

Then, on our Sunday morning ride our group went to West End Bike Shop (you should see some of the 'not for sale' bikes they've got on display), which most of us had never been to.
Anyway, one guy (Blaine) and I got to talking cruiser bikes and he said a 90-something year old neighbor gave him an old Schwinn cruiser bike. Since Blains not into cruisers, I ask him what he'd want for it and he kinda shrugged.
When I got home later I called him at the shop to leave him my number. By way of conversation, it turned out he lives on my same street just one block away!!
I went by his house after he got home and he proceeded to pull this out. He said he'd taken it to the shop and nobody wanted to touch it so he brought it back home. I asked again 'How much' and he said 'Take it and have fun with it!'!! I was so stoked!

DSC06994.jpg

DSC07000.jpg

DSC06998.jpg

The really cool thing about it is it's the opposite of a Starlet (boys instead of girls, opposite color schemes) I brought home earlier this year.
The Typhoon was 'built' in Sept '64 and the Starlet was 'built' in July '64, 2 months aparts.

Weekendscores001.jpg

I've been bitten hard this time around!

deorman said:
Now you owe him a bike. Solves the "what do I do with this free 10-spd" dilemma that's bound to happen sometime. :wink:

Good idea!
I did pickup a Varsity recently that had a 'Schwinn' rack and generator head and tail lights (which I've already pulled off).
It may be too old for this guy though. Most of the guys at this shop appear to be in the 'high dollar, latest technology' bracket.
But still I'll offer it, since I have no interest in a 10 speed anyway.

Whatever you do ,donot let the Typhoon and the Starlet park together!! In 9 months you'll have a bunch of little sting rays rollin around in your garage!!They breed like rabbits!!haha

bikejunkie said:
Whatever you do ,donot let the Typhoon and the Starlet park together!! In 9 months you'll have a bunch of little sting rays rollin around in your garage!!They breed like rabbits!!haha

Like that would be a bad thing. They're cute when they are little. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back