Done DONE!!!! Capt. America's Zenith Fastback!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
So, since I can not build 2 bikes in B.O. 11. And there is over a month until it begins, I plan to get this build finished before the build off starts! I am starting with a Snyder fastback frame (1937 if I remember correctly), the top of the line for this frame was the very popular "ZEP" model. It is badged as a Zenith, I bought this frame from @The_Black_Monark a month or so ago. I immediately started throwing parts on it.

IMG_1760.JPG

I believe that the evansaction fork will be saved for another project, and the wheels/tires belong to a FleetWing that will get a total restoration.

The Evansaction looks so great on that frame Big Ape, but you say you have some different tricks up your sleeve, so I'll be keeping an eye on your build.
That frame style has slipped through my grasp a couple of times and that guard sure would be nice to have too.
Build On!

A few of the parts that I have purchased specifically for this build.
First, the cool Shelby chain guard.
s-l1600.jpg

And a snowflake type 52 tooth chain ring.

s-l1600.jpg

Then a nice dogleg crank to help with an original look.

s-l1600.jpg

These parts along with a nice heavy duty black wheel set (nexus 3 speed) that I got last year from @ind-chuckz should give me plenty to work with right now.

The Evansaction looks so great on that frame Big Ape, but you say you have some different tricks up your sleeve, so I'll be keeping an eye on your build.
That frame style has slipped through my grasp a couple of times and that guard sure would be nice to have too.
Build On!
Yeah, I do like the evansaction on there, but I got a nice single spring Monark from @10~18 Kustoms (Marty) some time last year. I mocked it up on this frame and I love it just a bit more than the evansaction.
These chain guards don't come up everyday, but they are usually fairly cheap when they do, off of a ladies bike..... but a very cool design in my opinion.

Actually, the frame that @blwnmny got from Scott is my inspiration for the paint job that I have planned for this All American.
index.php

Along with the Capt. America deko discs that I bought. This bike should look all American when finished!!

Great 4th of July bike! I'm still compiling parts for mine, but I almost have everything to put her together.:113:

Yeah, definitely going for a 4th of July vibe on this one! I think yours will be more traditional than mine..... but I bet both will be cool!!

Yeah, definitely going for a 4th of July vibe on this one! I think yours will be more traditional than mine..... but I bet both will be cool!!
Heck Yeah! I'm getting a set of original paint blue Snyder fenders off of Scott that I think might look really Cool on it too. I wasn't planning on going with fenders originally, but these I think will look really good on it.

I like your plans for this one.
Can't wait to see the single spring fork on it.

So, I got a coat of red paint on the frame just waiting for it to dry good so that I can lay out my fancy one-off darts in a Wimbledon white and metallic royal blue. I used some Dupli-color automotive quality spray paint thinking that the quality would be much better than my normal Krylon or Rustoleum jobs. I will say that I am completely unimpressed with this paint! Anyway, I went ahead and started working on the handlebars, they are the ones that came with the frame (in the first picture). I used some 3/4" tube for plugs and welded in 3 3/4" extensions on them so that the reach won't be to bad with a laid back seat post. Then, I cut a nice curve out of a cantilever bar from an old scrap frame, drilled the bars so this cross brace fit into the bars and welded it all up. I ground it all down smooth with a flapper disc and filled the welds with a little putty. Oops, back up a minute, I did paint the stem with some red white and blue accents beforehand, and I had to install it onto the bars before welding in the cross brace.

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

I will paint them with a gloss black base and then use a chrome paint over that. It isn't the greatest way to get chrome handlebars, but it works fairly well with the black under it.

Last edited:
Look'n good! I can't wait to see your frame with your new paint scheme.:cool2:

Yeah.....me too! Right now it is Chrysler flame red according to the can.

I am still working on the handlebars while the frame dries more. First I shot a gloss black coat on them for a base under the chrome paint.

index.php

Then I got a can of Duplicolor Chrome #CS101 "Instant Chrome Finish"!
Magic stuff....Woooooo!! It is a little touchy, if you spray coats too thin, it will orange peel badly and then the near mirror like finish really shows the dimples! The best finish is made by spraying the paint almost heavy enough to run, that way it lays out fairly smooth.

index.php

index.php

If you enlarge the pictures you can see that it looks pretty good, for a hillbilly chrome paint job! I thought about adding clearcoat for some additional durability but I have read that the clear will give it a dull finish, making it actually look less like chrome than it does now.

I am still working on the handlebars while the frame dries more. First I shot a gloss black coat on them for a base under the chrome paint.

index.php

Then I got a can of Duplicolor Chrome #CS101 "Instant Chrome Finish"!
Magic stuff....Woooooo!! It is a little touchy, if you spray coats too thin, it will orange peel badly and then the near mirror like finish really shows the dimples! The best finish is made by spraying the paint almost heavy enough to run, that way it lays out fairly smooth.

index.php

index.php

If you enlarge the pictures you can see that it looks pretty good, for a hillbilly chrome paint job! I thought about adding clearcoat for some additional durability but I have read that the clear will give it a dull finish, making it actually look less like chrome than it does now.
Not to shabby for paint, even shows a little reflection.

O.K. things are getting much more interesting now. Here is the frame with paint on it, hanging in my shop.

index.php

index.php

index.php

In this last picture, you can also see the Vee Rubber "Twins" tires that I will be using on this build. 26X2.35
It is far from a restoration or true custom paint job, but I am happy with it.... and this will be a RIDER so it can't be too perfect!

Like the paint on this one, looks great.

Thanks man, it has been fun and a little frustrating at the same time. I know that I will not be using this Duplicolor automotive paint again.

Latest posts

Back