DoorK / Nodor

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Working on the bars and the brakes. Posed a pic for my daughter to snap. It stops nice with the additional front brakes. Muscle Spasm had the rear disc but I didn't have a good handbrake to actuate it. So stopping was fun when it got going. 2x12 converse was the usual way. Probably going to need to raise the door a few inches. I can look over the top and that's not cool. eBike outrigger not shown.
IMG_20210520_212034068.jpg

GC.

That is such a wicked pic!!!!
What a DoorK!!!! :D :D :D

That is such a wicked pic!!!!
What a DoorK!!!! :D :D :D
THANKS! :crazy:
The speed controller lines are all balled up, there's a wood block holding the door up and no outrigger wheel mounted yet, but... It's still a pretty funny pic. I gotta go get some steel tubing (square or rectangle, we'll see what they got) and get going on the subframe for the door and eBike drive wheel / outrigger. There's some fun clearance issues to deal with now. I need to clear the handlebars to steer and I'm NOT cutting the wing vent out, I want to be able to rest my arm in the window ledge and I'd like to have the outrigger wheel even with or maybe a bit ahead of the rear wheel on the bike. Probably have to raise the door a bit and notch it a little for the tire. Close enough to hang out the window like a DoorK but still clear the cranks too. Yeah. How many days left?

GC.

Last edited:
I yanked out the glass, cranking mechanism, lock and all internals I could to make this door lighter. So I doubt I could hang one of those on DoorK. If you have a original one you can get a fair amount of coin for it though, they're getting rare and hard to find.

GC.

Sad to think how long it took me to realize that I could tack a couple studs to the frame to support a sissy bar. Duh! When you have a banana seat what else is the natural backrest?
IMG_20210524_105911822_HDR.jpg

The recumbent riding position really requires a backrest to be any kind of comfortable.

GC.

It would be cool to make a bluetooth speaker out of one of these.

1621879702427.png

Doesn't look like much, but it's where I was at when my wire feeder ran out of wire, so Harbor Freight in the morning.
Here's the beginning of the stays, 5 3/4" inside plus a bit of room to do plate dropouts, 4" drop, 1x2 tube frame into 1x1 stays. It'll be husky, but it is supporting a jeep truck door.
IMG_20210526_183557133.jpg

GC.

Oh and...
Anybody got a source for battery parts? I understand it's cheaper if you build your own battery. 48 volt.

Carl.

IMG_20210528_120506573.jpg
IMG_20210528_120457248.jpg
IMG_20210528_120531833.jpg
IMG_20210528_120518849.jpg

There's a lot going on here. Note the bike is leaning outwards a bit and the subframe is tilted nose up just a little. The trick is getting the clearance for the arc of the handlebars turning to miss the top leading edge of the door. Bars are 32" wide, distance between the center of the rear tires is roughly 18" and the top edge of the door tips in a bit, but the bars when lifted to match the angle of the wing vent should clear by an inch or two. 8.5" between bike frame and subframe. So far I can sit on the bike with my arm on the window ledge and the interior is actually roomy.

Carl.

LOOKING GREAT!!!!!
You need some fuzzy dice hanging between the tops of the bars. :D

LOOKING GREAT!!!!!
You need some fuzzy dice hanging between the tops of the bars. :D
Get out of my head bro!
How about a retractable canopy with a solar charger? In reality it will probably get a cup holder... Hehe.

Carl.

I kno I put a good 3 hours in on it today but other than discovery, it feels like I went backwards. The tilt mechanism hinges needs to be more precise than I'm willing to do. So the frame will be rigid. The positive there is I believe I can make the whole door and subframe removable to ride as a stretch. Much of the electrical cabling needs to be longer so I'm going to try to create a "snake" to disconnect electrically too. I also need a hardened bolt on the stem, messing with it today made it worse. But I did get a primer coat on a guitar project...
IMG_20210530_174651888.jpg
IMG_20210530_174642909.jpg
IMG_20210530_174713633.jpg
IMG_20210530_174707997.jpg

GC.

Got the grade 8 bolt but the clamp never got tight enough. I really hate those super tall apes. No raised center in the clamping area and they flex because they're cheap junk. So I made a thick shim from some tubing and used a nice cast repop stem. Holds fine til I find a better set of bars. Took it out for a spin, I'm glad I was forced to decide to make the subframe removable. It really does ride nice.

Carl.

After chillin' with the family all day I snuck home to put a couple hours in on the DoorK. Got 2 of 4 planned braces for the attachment points started. Looks different with the door out of the way...
IMG_20210531_205639338.jpg
IMG_20210531_205703302.jpg
IMG_20210531_205715287.jpg

GC.

Latest posts

Back