Double Trouble

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way back in early January, rev106 offered up his Champion tribute frames he named 'Double Trouble'. I bought one. I've slowly been accumulating parts to build it and today it begins. I have today off work and will be taking the frame to a powder coater for some color.

Double Trouble left.jpg

I dropped off the frame for powder coating on the south side of Chicago at a shop with the reputation for being the areas best. They work with many of the top builders of rods and motorcycles in the region and were genuinely impressed with uniqueness the frame. I should have it back in a couple of weeks.

Looking forward to this build. I loved the Landing Gear forks on BMX bikes of yore. What size wheel is this bike meant for?
26". I'm building a pair of Rhyno Lites using a Mission sealed front hub, Shimano CB-E110 in the rear

Last edited:
Got the frame back from the powder coating and started piecing it together. I used a Tioga Beartrap 2 headset and the fork fit like it had been made for the frame with no cutting required. The crank is a Free Agent chromoly 175mm, chainwheel is a Chop Saw 42t snowflake, bottom bracket is a YST sealed unit. The outboard side of the crank needed light grinding and shaping to get the cone to start threading. All of these parts were sourced from Porkchop BMX. I'll be using a 17t on the hub for 64.2 gear inches.

20220708_220027.jpg

Getting back on with it! I have everything to complete this build with one exception. I ordered a set of black Rhynolite rims which I was assured were in stock only to find out later that they are back ordered through late August. Grrrrrrrrrrr....... I do have a new set of polished MSW Rhynolites that I might go on and build and swap them over this next winter.

Bars are DK Worthy 8.8, stem is vintage, unknown, BMX, grips are Cult Vans flangeless.

20220731_111054.jpg

The saddle is a NOS Persons leather Flyer copy, seat post is a solid, fluted, vintage BMX, clamp is Dia Compe.

20220731_111113.jpg

I lucked into a new Sturmey Archer S2C 2 speed kickback hub for cheap. I have the option of hill & cruise or cruise and warp speed ratios with a simple cog and maybe chain swap. Now if only I had a black rim to lace it to, grrrrrrrr........

20220731_111157.jpg

I have a 39 Roadmaster Supreme which the previous owner painted white. The paint on the frame is pretty ordinary and I’ve contemplated repainting it either the black as it originally was or a white like Ford’s Wimbledon white. I’m leaning towards the white as it highlights the unique frame more than black. Like yours, its my only white bike. Your thoughts?
0430CF1F-6E58-4967-93B3-B661CE8D0A7C.jpeg

I have a 39 Roadmaster Supreme which the previous owner painted white. The paint on the frame is pretty ordinary and I’ve contemplated repainting it either the black as it originally was or a white like Ford’s Wimbledon white. I’m leaning towards the white as it highlights the unique frame more than black. Like yours, its my only white bike. Your thoughts?View attachment 202620

Myself, I like it in white. It creates a nice contrast. The powder coating on mine set me back $90 but I feel it was well worth it because this bike will stay in my fleet long term.

Rims. I got an e-mail: The rims you ordered are currently on backorder. The eta we have for them is 8/29/22

I bought them on a 1/2 off flash sale. Maybe, just maybe, I'll get back on this build in September.

Back