Downside to riding your good stuff…

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Is that sometimes, it breaks and I really really didn’t want it to break.
2E917F39-0EDB-4DE9-A8FD-EBECC6DB1BDE.jpeg

another beautiful GT Viscount bites it.

JB Weld to the rescue !
If it's the flexy stuff that fuel tanks and ATV bodys are made of instead just weld it back together with an old solder iron and if you need to add material any old milk jug works as fill rod.

It’s deff not flexy stuff. But I think I will try the plastic version of JB weld. It’s worth a try and better than just putting the seat in the trash. And it certainly fits in the rat rod category!

pin it and glue it. A lab tech and adhesive expert once told me "you can't beat a mechanical connection".

So, how many cars did you jump when that happened? :happy:

Definitely try to repair it. You might try wrapping some bits of fiberglass around the outside of the socket and applying epoxy resin. Looking at other molded plastic saddles, that one doesn't seem to have much beef.

seat 1.jpg
seat 2.jpg

pin it and glue it. A lab tech and adhesive expert once told me "you can't beat a mechanical connection".
Yep, sometimes I put a screw into parts I'm joining then bury the whole thing in JB Weld. Fixed a car radiators and rusted holes in oil pans with sheet metal screws. Apply a coat of epoxy to as clean a surface as you can get, then run in a sheet metal screw or two (leave them sticking up a bit, then bury the whole deal in a blob of more epoxy.

You ever try plastic welding? Its like using a soldering iron with an exacto knife blade.

The good stuff deserves to be ridden and when it comes to bikes/parts that are engineered for performance, the disappointments are fewer and far between. Anything not designed to take a beating is something I expect to fail eventually.
Yes sir. I agree. But it still hurts.
several years I took my newly painstakingly restored Supergoose to the track in mint condition. Wrecked it and scratched the seat. Not minty any more!

It’s deff not flexy stuff. But I think I will try the plastic version of JB weld. It’s worth a try and better than just putting the seat in the trash. And it certainly fits in the rat rod category!
Add a small hose clamp to hold it in place as your glue dries. Leave the clamp.

Latest posts

Back