Dragst-Her Too

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's probably the spacer you added. You've changed the dish of your wheel by that same amount. I usually grind that hanger mount screw down flush. You don't want that much of a gap. The chain can actually rub a tiny bit as not too many people can crank a 12t gear on a muscle bike for very long. That 8 speed cassette is super wide already. You want it as close to the drop out as you can get it.

Spoke protector looks good. Make sure you trim them zip ties...;)

Edit: Here's a pic of a 9 speed setup. You can see the flush hanger bolt. This is all the gap you need. Just enough to let the chain shift on to that last cog.

View attachment 141768
I’ll check the dish, I don’t recall adding a spacer. But the difference in your picture and my picture for space at the dropout is apparent. I can see what I can do to remove a spacer.

I’ll check the dish, I don’t recall adding a spacer. But the difference in your picture and my picture for space at the dropout is apparent. I can see what I can do to remove a spacer.

From our convo...

What do you think of this spacing between the small cog and the frame? There doesn’t seem to be room for the chain. So... add a spacer? Look at the axle. I’ve got room.

YyqhUL.jpg

Hard to believe somebody has a worse memory than mine... :)...If you spaced both sides evenly it shouldn't be an issue tho.

Ok @Chad T I replaced a spacer inside the drive side cone assembly for a washer half the width. The chain is that much closer to the frame, and doesn’t hit. And I shaved the hanger mounting screw so there isn’t a clearance issue. I checked the dish, and it’s good, but I still have the same issue. A larger gap on the right.

I’m going to rim the drive side some more. I’ll check the dish out afterwards, but I have a feeling that’s the issue. My dish tool isn’t incredibly accurate on 24” and 20” rims. It’s a cheapie.

Dang man, you're going all-out on all the mechanical modifications! I seriously hope you can get this bike shifting and stopping like you want it. That looks like it's been an absolute nightmare to get it where it is now! Good luck making this every bit as awesome as it sounds like it'll be. I'm sure your daughter will love it!

I thought it would be smooth sailing from here, but...
The original Dragst-Her had a vintage basket made for ape hangers. For this one, I had a custom basket made. It’s got 2 straps in the back. Fine for a cruiser, but I can’t get it to install on an ape hanger without falling down and sitting on the brake and fender.
Any ideas?

4DA94D67-AA42-4B00-B6B1-335098CE8603.jpeg

B36263C1-6A79-4C51-A773-20DD495BF522.jpeg

Anyone ever work on a MX-1000 BMX brake? I got this because I thought it would provide some more stopping power. But I’m thinking it looks too industrial for a girls bike. Then, I was going to set up the housing for it, and it’s got a giant hole at the housing stop. Am I missing a piece?

A448B22C-2EB0-4BAB-8B9D-7C2A272F9299.jpeg

Tandem cable arrived. I got the rear brake system all set up and tested with the drag brake. It works! I installed the new 890 brake up front.

E7BCD066-86DA-468A-958A-5CB841C3EB98.jpeg

so that was about the last of the build. Everything is set! I’m taking the bike apart to chrome the parts that need it, and start the “body work” on the painted stuff.

(Homer Simpson voice channeled...)
Chrome...

GC.

Latest posts

Back