Drome racers

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On my old 160cc 2 stroke bike I was getting about 75ish Kph around the drome.
Some of the boys are up in the 80s and on a straigh road some of the rotaries are getting up near 60mph/100kph...but those speeds arent really attainable around a drome.
Id LOVE to see some South Islanders get in on the action...the more the merrier imo.

OK TECHNICALLY not bicycles because none of them have cranks and pedals but I figured this was the best place for this.

A bunch of us here in NZ got into this after pining over the old Board track racing scene.
Of course nothing like this exists now especially way down here on the edge of Antarctica.

So our simple rules are as follows.

The engine cannot be from any kind of vehicle.
So its therefore know as AgClass (agricultural class) racing.
We only race on bicycle velodromes...(old disused ones are fairly plentiful and most cities have one here in NZ)
The frames are all hand built and we have both big block class and small block class.
BB class being anything over 200cc.

We have everything from small villiers 98cc engines bumble bees to angry Sachs 303cc rotary engined beasts and even a supercharged 200cc ...thing.

Anyway here is a couple of pics of various drome racers I have made and a couple of vids from 2012 dromageddon and 2014 dromageddon held in Rotorua each year.

My first build.
A 160cc victa lawnmower 2 stroke engine.
2012-08-08_14-10-48_HDR.jpg

And it in action...
sionvicta.jpg

Then I got bored with that so went for something shorter and with a 300cc Diesel engine.
bwdromer_zps7a2bd6f9.jpg

This looked ok but was horrendously hard to ride as the riding position was agony for 5 mins so riding the 1 hour enduro was out of the question.
So I cut it all up and started again working around comfort.
And this is the result.
photo131_zps081e1cd4.jpg

photo319_zps99164d08.jpg

It hasnt had its maiden voyage yet as Im still working on it but I should be able to ride it before my next hand operation in a coupla weeks.

Anyway the videos.
First off the inaugral year of Dromageddon 2012.
Was a 2 day Drome event with test n tune on Saturday and Racing on Sunday.

Then last years Dromageddon which was 1 day testing and racing at the velodrome followed by a day of flat dirt track racing on one of my paddocks out in the middle of the Central Plateau.

Anyway I hope you like this.

But if this isnt the place for it feel free to delete or move it.

Im just a new guy trying to find my way around.

Enjoy...

Dodgysam.

Consider me inspired. Pure awesomeness.

So we had Dromageddon mkIV this weekend.

It was wet then hot then wet then hot then wet etc etc etc on Saturday.
One guy hit the barrier on the high side of the velodrome and lost some skin but is otherwise ok.

The Deez thumper got a respectable 2nd place in the enduro with last years winner taking out back to back enduro titles.

Congrats Lucas.

Today was the dirt track racing and I actually had my camera there...(cos it is held at my house!)...so I got some pics and stuff.

IMG_8241_zpsnpj94nhs.jpg

IMG_8243_zpsfgawgh6h.jpg

IMG_8247_zpsktkcrsub.jpg

IMG_8249_zpsdqjq8kze.jpg

IMG_8250_zpssyrpvo2w.jpg

output_eRQqfU_zpsgvdbgdvf.gif

IMG_8254_zpsy63wlisy.jpg

IMG_8290_zps7yycxtzv.jpg

IMG_8291_zpsvi4ndngb.jpg

IMG_8294_zpsnrnj1ikj.jpg

And heres a wee vid of how to not exit/show off out of turn 2...

Ah. I'm not familiar with those types of engines. What application are they typically used for?
I'm gonna try this as best I can, I'm probably wrong and this post is old but here goes.

Here in the states rotary engines are most often found in the late 70's-early 80's Mazda rx-7, but also in the more modern rx-8. Zippy little 2 seaters.

I've only ever worked on piston engines, so this is where I'm probably wrong. But I'm told rotary engines have a higher torque output, and a much higher RPM range. It all has to do with the design I guess.

One thing I did learn from a friend who had an rx-7 is that these things are nearly unstoppable. I don't know what, if any smaller machines in the states have rotary engines, but if I found a rotary mower or tiller I would definitely give it a go.

Snowmobiles.

A few of them use rotaries...nice small ones.

Also a good motor...(super sexy sounding too)...is the wajax mercury of mercury outboards fame.
They do an air cooled twin cylinder motor for petrol powered water pumps.

Infact they sound so good I made a video of one just for the sound...sounds like a race tuned Alfa Romeo.

Latest posts

Back