Drum/Roller brake combo which brake levers to use?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read that Shimano used a brake lever with the pull of cantilever brakes (short pull). But I also read that a Vbrake Lever(long pull) may work better.

Short-pull levers for both. I haven't built up a roller brake bike yet, but I can say from experience that Sturmeys need a short-pull, and the Shimano literature recommends short pull for their rollers, too.

Bicycle808 said:
Short-pull levers for both. I haven't built up a roller brake bike yet, but I can say from experience that Sturmeys need a short-pull, and the Shimano literature recommends short pull for their rollers, too.

What he said...

I use rim brake levers on my Shimano roller and Arai drum brake. I also used a rim brake lever on my Worksman drum. I haven't tried disc levers on them.

There's no such thing as disk or rim brake levers; there's just long-pull (v-brakes, most discs) and short-pull (road brakes, centerpulls, canti's, u-brakes, "road" discs, drum/roller brakes.)

You want short pull.

The Shimano levers I used on my Basman are adjustable for different kinds of brakes. I have roller brakes front and rear but might do the drum/roller combo on my next bike and probably use the same levers.

shimano_brake_lever_switch.png

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Bicycle808 said:
There's no such thing as disk or rim brake levers; there's just long-pull (v-brakes, most discs) and short-pull (road brakes, centerpulls, canti's, u-brakes, "road" discs, drum/roller brakes.)

You want short pull.

True, but from what I've seen, most sellers don't advertise levers as "short pull" or "long pull", but use the terms "V brake" or "canti" (etc), instead, so it helps to understand the difference.

If you do an Ebay search for using the terms "short pull" or "long pull" brake levers, hardly anything comes up. Search for "canti", "cantilever", or "V brake" lever, and you'll get a MUCH larger list.

One last note, V brake levers are referred to as "linear", quite often.

Rooski said:
Bicycle808 said:

You want short pull.

True, but from what I've seen, most sellers don't advertise levers as "short pull" or "long pull", but use the terms "V brake" or "canti" (etc), instead, so it helps to understand the difference.

If you do an Ebay search for using the terms "short pull" or "long pull" brake levers, hardly anything comes up. Search for "canti", "cantilever", or "V brake" lever, and you'll get a MUCH larger list.

One last note, V brake levers are referred to as "linear", quite often.

This is b/c most sellers realize that most buyers are uninformed. If one is getting his/her info from ads and ebay auctions, one is likely to remain confused. OTOH, if one figures out the difference between long- and short-pull levers and which brakes require which lever, then one can become liberated in terms of what kind of bars, brakes, and levers he/she can run on any given bike.

Regardless, the notion of "rim brake levers" is beyond ludicrous, as it really tells us nothing about the leverage.

-rob

ps- "v-brake" is actually a trademarked Shimano term; "linear-pull brake" is the generic term. It's kinda like "kleenex" vs "tissue"

Latest posts

Back