Duck Norris!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya, I was looking at old pictures, and I went from a completely flat chainring to a dished one. It looks like enough of a dish that flipping it would move it too far out.

I've got a spacer I can spare, down side is it would leave a gap between the sprocket and the bearing bracket where grime and water can get in. There are shields for that on some old U.S. bikes, but I probably don't have any not in use.

I've got a spacer I can spare, down side is it would leave a gap between the sprocket and the bearing bracket where grime and water can get in. There are shields for that on some old U.S. bikes, but I probably don't have any not in use.
Thanks for the offer. I'll try to flip the cog on the back, as per Dr tankenstein's advice first, and if that fails, we'll see about spacers.

Zoomed in on the last pic of the ‘Duck’ and you could also try flipping you front chainring (currently it’s dished in) as an option to the spacer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If my memory can be trusted (can it?), I think that the dish on the chainring is so much, that flipping it might just push it out of alignment in the other direction

Woo hoo, fortune smiles! I took the ring off of the original chrome crank, and guess what I found behind the cone? Two big fatty spacers! These suckahs are almost 1/8" thick
IMG_20191103_105440897.jpg

Little cleanup, little wrenching and rearranging, and hopefully my chainline problems are solved.
Now, a bigger issue: i showed the lovely C-Dice the new black crank and ring, and she said, "I dunno... I kinda liked the chrome one better."
What's the point of shiny new parts on your hotrod if it doesn't impress your special lady friend?

The situation was not sitting well with me. No full sized bike in my fleet was operational. Only my 24" diamondback BMX could be counted on. Time for a remedy, so I cracked open the Duck's BB to get this alignment thing solved.
I took the chain side cone off the black crank, and lo and behold, a black spacer in there too, slightly thinner than the two galvanized (?) ones I found the other day. Plenty of options here!
First, I added one of the new guys along with the black one. Hmm, that little sliver of silver really stands out between the black crank and cup. Not sure about that. Test ride reveals that it isn't moving the ring out far enough to eliminate the issue.
I could've gone with two silver spacers and no black one for a little more clearance, but the silver in there really bothered me, plus, they seem prone to rust, which I don't feel Keen to introduce to my bb. Therefore, I decided to take the ring off and flip it over to see if the dish and black spacer would give me the alignment fix.
Tadaaaaaa! Great success! And not a moment too soon, started snowing on me as I buttoned it up. That was one cool test ride!
Sorry, no pics, my hands were too cold and greasy to fool around with the phone.

Time for "new" grips. They're Worksman, I think. At least that's what's on the trikes at work.
IMG_20200327_113313004.jpg

A little super duper Rat Rod Grip Adhesive will do the trick!
Peeled off the old dry rotted foam grips. LEADTEC bars?
IMG_20200327_112954228.jpg
Here's a naked shot. Just because.
IMG_20200327_113108814.jpg

Squirt squirt, squeeze squeeze, slide slide, et voila!

Shoot. Forgot to take the "after" picture. Oh well, it's not final. They're too small, my big mitts hang off, one is more worn than the other, and they won't stay put! Twisting and sliding all over the place! Plus it makes Duck Norris feel like work. Not cool.

Thinking about putting on one of these. Guess which one came with Duck
IMG_20200504_161301243.jpg

Lol if I use oe, I'll remove the sticker. If I use the top one, I could stripe it and put a number in the circle to match the graphics on the panels. Which I still have to design and execute.

I highly recommend Ian’s ‘coke bottle’ grips bud. They are slightly oversized and comfy, soft but not mushy
I run them on most of my bikes, even have a set of ‘ball ends’ on my daughter’s Electra.
6fecbeda761f08bca6176e1913dac390.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know I love that Schwinn, @Dr. Tankenstein! Even though Duck Norris is the toughest bike in the universe*, I'd be open to a trade!
I'm curious about the ball end grips. Sometimes on casual (read: inebriated) I just grab the end of the bar, those babies look perfect for the job

*How tough is Duck Norris? He's so tough, they went back in time and named a movie star after him!

It's hawt as Hades out there. Need hydration, badly. Quick fix: a couple of seatpost reflector brackets and a few nuts and bolts.
IMG_20200724_155413651.jpg
IMG_20200724_155836263_HDR.jpg

It's a bit of a right fit, I've moved some stuff around to get more clearance. Will only be able to carry the small bottle, but some is better than none.
IMG_20200724_160721582.jpg

Not optimal, could get hit with wheel spray. Might try to mount something under the top tube ahead of the post, but it'll look pretty phallic, and I might lose the bottle due to horizontal orientation

Latest posts

Back