Duck Norris!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More from today's ride
IMG_20210325_123239059.jpg
IMG_20210325_123346555.jpg
IMG_20210325_123717246.jpg

Feels great, light and nimble, could easily go do 20k on it. Ok, maybe not easily, but still...
Looks weird without a panel in there, maybe I'll put the original metal one in there while I procrastinate

Woo hoo! Actual nice weather up here in Canada today, almost 20° (that's like 70 Freedom Units)! Took the Diamondback out for a couple of miles. Boy, BMXs were not made for long rides! Also, watch for fallen leaves, almost took a spill when I locked up the brakes. Feeling invigorated, I decided to go at the Duck. Swapped out the crank, cups, and bearings for the ones from the moose. You super builders probably would have had a laff or two at my antics. A few choice words later, and some fresh grease*, and I'm done! Here's how he looks now.View attachment 108106*A word on grease. Never assume. The moose had nothing. Bone dry. Probably never had any in its entire life. I don't think it had ever been ridden, and I never took it out beyond the test ride, less than two blocks. Cleaned the bearings anyhow, fresh white grease is better than what was in the Duck.
I assume that whatever was in the Duck was grease, although human feces isn't completely out of the question
There was a bikeman episode of him taking a part of Walmart cruiser and there was no grease from the factory, which made the bearings disintegrate in the bottom bracket.

Such a nice frame. Nice bike in general. My neighbor has something very similar looking. Haven't had the pleasure to take a closer look at it yet. I wish I found a frame like this to work on some time. :) Really neat.

It always puts a grin on my face. I catch myself singing, whistling, and even laughing when I get to ride it.

No wonder, looks so much fun. :cool2: I haven't dug up this thread yet, which frame is it? I like the simplicity of it. I should make something like this, just a bare bones bike with nothing extra on it, make it for rough crazy riding and ton of fun.

How wide is that handlebar? It looks similar to the one I got on my current build. Got to say that shape is one of the nicest I've ever had on anything, gives quite relaxed wrist position, close to neutral which is really good. I pay attention to that as I got carpal tunnel syndrome, fixed with surgeries, but not completely gone and handlebar can make a huge difference on the stress the wrists have to stand while riding.

The frame is nothing. It was a promotional bike for a wetlands conservation organization, Ducks Unlimited. I don't know how old it is, but I'd guess it was done some time in the nineties
ad_1561154608430.jpg

How it looked when I got it. It still needs better pedals, seat, and grips.

Funny how it looks like it has more 'speed' to it when you've stripped it down a bit. :D But those are nice fenders.

@FInnRat I finally remembered to measure the bars for you. However, it was late Saturday night, and there were beers involved, so I can't remember exactly what the numbers are. I think they were 29" tip to tip, but it might be 27...

@FInnRat I finally remembered to measure the bars for you. However, it was late Saturday night, and there were beers involved, so I can't remember exactly what the numbers are. I think they were 29" tip to tip, but it might be 27...

Very close on what I have on mine, that one is 31,89" x 15,35". With a low raise, just like on the Duck. :cool2:
This type handlebar is my new love affair, really like the laid back wrist posture.

Yeah none of that graphic stuff is any closer to happening, panels have been off for like seven months, I'm putting em back on.
Out with the old
IMG_20210720_163222522.jpg
in with the new
IMG_20210720_163325201.jpg

Even with half a paint job, the wood looks better than the old steel one. I'll get better pics next time it's outta the garage.
I learned a few things about paint removal from the Good From Afar build, maybe I'll apply some knowledge here to fix some touch ups the previous owner performed. They're visible on the top tube in the picture above, a line of blobby darker green spots

Latest posts

Back