"Dumpster Mutt" Rat Rod

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_1618.JPG
NGBB6050.JPG
0M9AE3375.JPG
IMG_1641.PNG
IMG_1634.JPG
campy1.JPG
campy2.JPG
campy3.JPG
IMG_1608.JPG
IMG_1609.JPG
IMG_1624.JPG
IMG_1626.JPG
IMG_1629.JPG
IMG_1633.JPG
IMG_1634.JPG
IMG_1635.JPG
IMG_1639.JPG
IMG_0163.JPG
IMG_0708.JPG
Last year I rebuilt an old Eaton's Glider that I found next to a dumpster - see before and after photos, or visit the posting here http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/1930-40-eatons-glider-rr.107167/.

I tried to enter it in to the build-off last year, but didn't meet some criteria,I think because I entered it right at the end rather than keeping a build journal.

Anyways, after I was done with it, it looked beautiful (in my eyes) but weighed 37 pounds (!!!!), not the ideal commuter. So the plan for this build has been to re-do it in true rat rod style; a beautiful old frame built up with high quality modern components so that it can be light enough to run like the wind.

I bought some Shimano 600 pedals and front brake caliper, as well as a 14t fixed gear cog and a gorgeous pair of french Rigida rims that I found at my local community bike shop called The Bike Dump. I also ordered a tubular wheelset from ebay to cut the campy track hubs out and build them on to my rims. I used Nevr Dull polish on the rims to amazing effect, would highly recommend!

While I don't normally name my bikes, I do have a name for this one: seeing as I'm going to use a bunch of random (but high end!) vintage parts for it, and because I originally found it near a dumpster, I'm going to call it the Dumpster Mutt.

Stay tuned for more and best of luck to everyone. Enjoy :)

Update May 22nd: I made a huge mistakeeeeeeeeeee along the way in this build process :'( :'( :'( I ordered a $200+ dollar wheelset specifically to use the hubs (advertised on ebay as track hubs). I got the wheelset, excitedly disassembled the wheels, put the old tubular rims in the back lane for the scrap collectors, and built the hubs on to my Rigida rims.

THEN, and only then (facepalm) did I bring them to a local bike shop to ask about a lockring. I was confused and figured there was some special way that Campagnolo fixes the cog to the hub, as I could only see ONE SET OF THREADS on the hub, see where this is going?

It turns out, the seller on ebay (theproscloset) marketed the wheelset as a track wheelset, but in fact they are not track hubs, but just regular hubs with a track cog threaded on to the rear hub, which would instantly unscrew if ridden. :'( :'( :'(

So, as the original rims have been taken by the scrap collectors, I couldn't return them, and just opted to leave a searingly negative review on ebay and ordered another pair of hubs which I was careful to confirm are track hubs. Attached are photos of the wheelset in question, taken from the ebay ad

An expensive lesson to learn!

June 15th 2019
Check out the hubs that complete my wheelset... so shiny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and actually track hubs lol.

July 31st 2019
Thanks to those who asked for more updates! It motivated me to get back in the garage and do some more work. Like a crow or magpie I've slowly been collecting shiny things here and there for my bike. I've included some photos of my Dura Ace crank set, platform pedals from MEC, vintage Wrights saddle (in great shape), and front end which includes a Super Compe stem and Kalloy handlebars which are the original from the bike when I first found it. I've also included a photo of my Olmo front fork which I had originally planned to use on another build - I took it in to redo the chrome and I think they did a great job.

Last edited:
2 months gone
2 months to go
Any progress?

My grandpa (mother's side) was a very dexterous man, (a terrific person with integrity really, he was a driving instructor and was also inspecting the work of the taxis which were run by the government, also a decorated WWII vet). I remember being in the cellar with him, he had a work bench and a lot of tools. He'd let me have a sip from his beer, I found it amazing how can something so bitter feels so good :) He brought me my first metal constructors, like those, later came more sets with more elaborate parts like achsles, 90 degrees cogs, pulleys and stuff:
big-parts.jpg

I made a car with the doors being able to open, I also made a revolver (because I couldn't get enough from "For a few dollars more") with a revolving drum (you had to spin it per hand though)...
So yes, having a role model like that from a young age definitely does for shaping your personality and interests.

a few more photos I had lying around
IMG_E2607.JPG
IMG_E0663.JPG

set up for clear coating, taken from the roof of my family cottage haha^
IMG_0666.JPG

Cool saddle that I didn't end up using
sept-dec 2017 071.JPG
Using a wire wheel drill attachment to take off some of the old paint; frame had been painted at least 3 colors (red, yellow and white) throughout its life.
sept-dec 2017 073.JPG
sept-dec 2017 074.JPG
sept-dec 2017 075.JPG

Here's the final product folks! I'll make sure to post in the "Finished Builds" section as well. Photos taken by my best friend Jon beside the dumpster where I first found it back in 2013. It now weighs 22 pounds, 15 pounds lighter than last year! Thanks to all who have been following my build, I've had a ton of fun throughout the process and have enjoyed seeing what others have built.
IMG_0179.JPG
IMG_0181.JPG
IMG_0182.JPG
IMG_0183.JPG
IMG_0184.JPG
IMG_0185.JPG
IMG_0186.JPG
IMG_0187.JPG
IMG_0188.JPG

Latest posts

Back