Dutch bikes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had any experience of customising a Dutch bike?
I work with a Dutch guy who said he can get me an old one next time he goes home.
I like them, but have never seen a modified one. Google images draws a blank ( unless you count new paint and saddle as customising..... I don't! Lol )

Anyone better at finding pictures on the web able to help inspire me?

Seems to me, what a lot of people call a Dutch bike is most like a english 3spd racer.
I like to call them the Honda Accords of the bike world.
Basic, reliable transportation, good geometry, easy to ride.

Something like in the picture below..

The bike.. not the lady...
ad0afbfdbcf0c0fe83f5032eefc19888.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

In my experience, most Dutch bikes are more similar to the Brit "Roadster" models than they are to the Brit "Sports" models that a lot of Yanquis refer to as "British Racers." More like the Raleigh DL-1 than the Raleigh sports:
Roadster:
raleighDL1rs.jpg

Sports:
sports1978.jpg

Basically, the Roadsters have far slacker head- and seat-tube angles, and while the Brit roadsters tend to rock true 28"s instead of 26x1 3/8" wheels, you might find either size in the Dutch bikes. Rod brakes were common on the Nottingham roadsters and older Dutch models, but these days, most Dutchies have moved to drums... rod brakes live on with Indian and Chinese-built roadsters. Roadsters, like Dutch bikes, are also more likely to be full-dress commuter bikes, with full chaincases, generator lights, fancy sprung saddles, ring locks, and dropstands (sometimes), and maybe even a skirt/coatguard... whereas the Sports tended to have fenders, a hockey-stick guard, and maybe a kickstand.

For comparison, here is what I would consider to be a fairly "typical" Dutch bike:
Azor_Opafiets_Classic1.jpg

(Azor Opafiets)

Dutch bikes might have 26x1 3/8"(590) tires; older ones are likely to have true 28"s (635), while newer models are just as likely to be wearing fat 700c (622) rubber.

Finding customized versions of these is hard, b/c while a lot of folks do mod their Dutch bikes, they're not usually candidates for RRB-style customization. However, RRB member @CeeBee did build a fairly radical custom out of an Indian-built rod-brake Roadster that he chopped and grafted half of a Murray(?...might've been something esle, but i think it was a Murray) to the upper half of the frame.
The Rod (Brake) Rod
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/rod-brake-rod.87869/

HTH

thanks for your replies.
The type I'm interested in is the step through bike.
Why? Well, because they are so uncool! lol

Like this
HTB1BgxRGXXXXXX2XFXXq6xXFXXXA_zpskis5vrgp.jpg

single speed, kick back rear brake, no front brake, built in stand etc..

If you have seen my build thread ( "when a crazy idea becomes reality") you will understand I like to stand out :)

There is a guy in Netherlands, i don't remember quite well, i think he is from Rotterdam or Tilburg, who have customized quite some Dutch bikes. He built stretched versions and thick rims cruisers out of common omafiets, using mostly original parts. I know there are Dutch people on this forum, may be they can recall his name.

Two of my commuter bikes.

The blue one is a German made Holland Look, about a 1964, sachs three speed with coaster brake.
Probably my favorite rider of the two. .and probably the one that is closets to a "dutch bike" it used to have a full chain case and fender skirts.
Unfortunately, those were all damaged beyond repair.. 28" wheels.. the originals were white gum tires.. wish I could find replacements.

The one behind it is a 1961 royce union, probably built by Raliegh.

3 speed sturmy archer free wheel. Caliper brakes all around..
It's probably more like an "english racer"

Nice rider as well, but i find the SA hub a bit more fiddly than the sachs.

Neither are particularly special, rare, or worth anything.. but they are fun to have and ride.
Great city bikes, a dream to ride.. they dont fatigue or haunch you over.

Like i said up thread. . Just basic, reliable transportation
e0a6f254261d4c92958fec67e9d4ef47.jpg

So, it looks like a "Dutch" bike, for men, is basically a diamond frame, with 3-speed styling. For women's or step-thru, it could be as ordinary as a '60-70's Schwinn frame, or more like the nice one pictured with the very long head tube and stem, (again with comfort-bike styling).
I believe that some 1910-20's era bikes might share similar styling, and become available outside Holland from time to time. Below are some 1930's era, with some streamlining:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-War...war-Safety-Bicycle-Unusual-Rare-/172706526929
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Vintag...-Pedals-Skip-Tooth-Crank-Fender-/272712943922

Last edited:
Yeah, probably just the safety bike refined. . Then eventually folks would start racing them, then they would flip over the handle bars to get a more aggressive stance.. so and so forth..

Latest posts

Back